Nigeria bishops: "We are in a deadly struggle for the soul and survival of our nation"

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:46:05 -0800

Posted On : January 14, 2011 11:00 AM | Posted By : Admin ACO

ACNS: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/index.cfm

Related Categories: Nigeria

In the Nigerian House of Bishops' communiqué issued after their
meeting in Agbarha-Otor, the bishops highlight that in a "time of
great tension in [their] nation", they are struggling for the "soul
and survival" of their country...

COMMUNIQUE

From the House of Bishops Of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion)

Meeting at the Ibru Centre, Agbarha-Otor, Delta State

January 3rd -9th, 2011

The House of Bishops of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) met
under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the leadership of the Most
Rev. Nicholas D. Okoh, Archbishop, Metropolitan and Primate of All
Nigeria for our annual retreat at the Ibru Centre, Agbarha-Otor, Delta
State, from January 3rd-9th, 2011. 158 bishops were present. We were
blessed by the opportunity to spend time together for prayer, worship
and teaching at this beginning of a New Year filled with opportunities
and challenges.

The theme of our retreat was ?A Living Sacrifice? (Romans 12:1). The
Bible studies, led by Bishop Zac Niringiye from the Anglican Church of
Uganda, and the various teaching sessions all emphasized the critical
importance of surrendering ourselves fully to God?s will and purpose
if we are to show the world the power of transformed and dedicated men
and women of God. We were challenged to see that so often our failure
to live a sacrificial life robs the world of the witness and presence
of a church that is able to offer genuine hope to people who are
desperately in need of such a testimony. We were reminded again that
the Gospel of Jesus Christ is a total commitment and affects every
aspect of our daily lives including our marriages and families, our
stewardship of the resources entrusted to us, and our attitude towards
those in authority and those who are in need.

Meeting together as bishops of the Church of Nigeria in Delta State
during the rerun of the contested election for Governor of the State
we were very conscious of living at a time of great tension in our
nation. The ability to conduct a free and fair election, an essential
and necessary condition for the future of democracy in our nation, has
been seriously compromised by the breakdown in basic security on the
roads and in our communities. We are concerned that those who have no
credible or hopeful project for our beloved nation may have engineered
this breakdown and we urge Federal and State officials to be on ?red
alert? and be in firm control to ensure a peaceful transition.

The Christmas time bombings in Jos and Abuja and the recent killings
in Maiduguri are yet further examples that we are in the middle of a
deadly struggle for the soul and survival of our nation. We condemn
these terrible acts of violence. We grieve with all those who lost
loved ones and we pray for those who were injured or terrorized by
these calculated acts of violence. We commend the Federal Government?s
first moves to offer comfort and assistance to those who were hurt and
we urge that all steps be taken to ensure that everything be done to
bring the culprits to book immediately to forestall further
deterioration of our security situation.

Meeting in Delta State also reminded us that the inequities and abuses
that have led to the rise of disaffected groups in this region that
have committed numerous militant acts remain a present reality. We are
grateful for the National initiatives that have sought to bring
reconciliation and peace but are concerned that many of these programs
are not reaching the people for whom the help was planned. Too often
local government structures fail to utilize the resources as intended
and instead redirect the funds to other purposes. We urge all local
officials to be true to their responsibilities and transparent in
their dealings.

We remind the Federal Government of its repeated promises to improve
the power sector and road network since these are the bedrock of
industrialization and an essential component of Vision 202020. Now is
the time to match words with actions. We commend the steps taken by
the Central Bank of Nigeria to restore investor confidence with their
bank reform policies and urge all concerned to implement the budget
transparently so that hope can be restored for ordinary citizens.

We are disappointed and worried over the protracted closure of the
South East State Universities following the industrial action by
University staff. We appeal to the Governors to ensure that the
differences with the staff are resolved quickly to enable the students
resume their studies. Further delay could be dangerous.

We note with interest the expedited decision and action by the Federal
Government of Nigeria to educate the Almajiri children in the country.
This is a laudable project to address the education needs of the
underprivileged sections of society. However, we believe that instead
of an entirely new school structure, the Almajiris could be
accommodated in an already existing structure, the UBE. The main
reason for this view: the Almajiris need to reintegrate into society
and socialize with other children of different backgrounds, in order
to acquire a broader view of life, and appreciate the interdependency
we enjoy in a multi-cultural and religiously plural society such as
ours. Besides, the Government will have to pay attention to the
special needs of other religious bodies. Is there still any
justification for forbidding the teaching of Christian Religious
Knowledge in public schools in some parts of the country? What about
the vex issue of return of schools to the mission?

As the date for national elections rapidly approaches we are also
concerned that preparations are far from adequate. We call on INEC
(Independent National Electoral Commission) to redouble their efforts
and also communicate more fully their plans for this crucial event in
our national life. We urge all politicians to bring an end to
political assassinations and violence and demonstrate Godly restraint
in their electioneering.

The recent disclosure by the Governor of the Central Bank that twenty
five percent of our National Overhead Expenditures is currently spent
on the National Assembly is an outrage. At a time when all aspects of
our national infrastructure cry out for adequate funding and many of
our people live in abject poverty the news that government officials
are swelling their own accounts is unconscionable. We call on our
political leaders to seek the common good instead of their own comfort
and be sacrificial in their service to this nation.

This catalogue of concerns reflects not only our love for our nation
and all its people but also our conviction that strong, honest,
visionary leadership is vital if we are to give our people the hope
that they deserve. We are a gifted and blessed nation with enormous
potential. We have amazing God-given resources and talented people
capable of exercising not only national leadership but also taking
their rightful place on the global stage. We continue to trust in the
God who has promised that He will lead us into glorious future.

Now ? to him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you
before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy ­ to the
only God our Saviour be glory, majesty, power and authority, through
Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

The Most Revd Nicholas D. Okoh

Archbishop, Metropolitan and Primate of All Nigeria