Top 10 stories of 2010 for Taiwanese Churches

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:05:41 +0800

3072 Edition
January 10-16, 2011

Headline News

Top 10 stories of 2010

Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong

Written by Lydia Ma

As we bid farewell to 2010 and welcome 2011, Taiwan Church News made a list
called “Top 10 Stories of 2010 for Taiwanese Churches”.

After we released our observations, we noticed that some issues or stories
that we’d mentioned also made it to the “Top 10” list of some Taiwanese
human rights associations and environmental-protection associations.

Our common concerns with these associations include: ECFA’s negative impact
on Taiwan, the need to decide ECFA through a referendum, the harm Kuo-kuang
Petrochemical Company is inflicting in coastal wetlands in Taiwan by
building a new refinery, and the erosion of Aborigine human rights.

Listed below and in no particular order, are our top 10 news stories for
2010:

l   One-leads-One, New Doubling Movement

l   The passing away of Dr. David Landsborough, Jr.

l   ECFA’s negative impact on Taiwan; Taiwanese people should have a say
through a nationwide referendum

l   PCT joins residents in opposing Kuo-kuang Petrochemical Technology
Corp.’s plans to build a new refinery in wetlands near Changhua.

l   The passing away of missionary Hu Wen-chih at 101. He was a pioneer in
ministering to Bunun Aborigines.

l   PCT’s participation in WCRC’ “Uniting General Council” and the election
of Lu Yueh-wen as vice president

l   The visit of Anselm Gruen to Taiwan and his encouragement to Taiwanese
pastors

l   New legislation on property rights robs Aborigines of their
constitutional and Aborigine rights.

l   Christian churches’ participation in post-Morakot reconstruction so
that it takes into account Aborigine culture.

l   PCT’s Conference on National Affairs – a response to the Ma
administration’s China-leaning policies.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge
the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer. Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)