UMNS Daily Digest - January 20., 2011 (Zimbabwe, Judicial Council, Haiti, Obama, poverty, Floods in

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:20:57 -0800

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                        Wednesday, January 19, 2011
                [5]Small church missions fuel African growth
                  [6]Court to hear delegate election issue
                 [7]Memories of Haiti bring hope for future
       [8]Faith leaders remind Obama of promise to cut poverty in half
                  [9]Methodists in Brazil respond to floods

   [10]
   UMTV: Church Adopts Haiti»

   [11]
   UMTV: Church Crosses Border»

   [12]
   Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [13]Find us on Facebook

   [14]Twitter

   Contact Us
   E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

  âThe passion to reach out for lost souls is the driving force. God makes
 everything possible.ââFuture Sibanda, United Methodist pastor in Mhondoro,
                                  Zimbabwe

Small church missions fuel African growth

   MHONDORO, Zimbabwe (UMNS) â In the United States, the megachurch has
become
   the ideal for many religious leaders. Bigger is better, the theory goes,
as
   more people generate more revenue to offer more programs that can attract
   more people. Yet in Africa, it is the development of small churches,
taking
   the faith from village to village as those from Christianityâs founders
   the first Methodists have done for centuries, that is the key to growth.

                                 [15]Read full story and post a comment»

Court to hear delegate election issue

   NEW YORK (UMNS) â The United Methodist Judicial Council has called a
Feb. 12
   meeting to consider a request related to how clergy delegates are
elected to
   the denominationâs top legislative gathering. Annual (regional)
conferences
   will elect representatives to the next General Conference, scheduled for
   2012 in Tampa, Fla., during meetings this spring and summer. The United
   Methodist Council of Bishops has asked the churchâs top court to decide
the
   [16]âmeaning, effect and applicationâ of a section of the 2008 Book of
   Discipline regarding those elections.

                                 [17]Read full story and post a comment»

Memories of Haiti bring hope for future

   EVANSTON, Ill. (UMNS) â Julie Fleurinor, a Haitian native, remembers the
   âcher Ayiti (sweet Haiti)" of her youth and wonders why she was spared
while
   the country remains so poor. âWhy was I allowed to leave for a better
life?
   Why was I not sold into child slavery or killed by a dreadful disease
like
   hepatitis or cholera? Why am I literate? I have yet to find an answer,
   except for the fact that I was saved to be part of the change I seek,â
she
   writes in this commentary. Fleurinor, a Garrett-Evangelical Theological
   Seminary student, helped coordinate a memorial service on her campus to
mark
   the one-year anniversary of the Jan. 12, 2010, earthquake.

                                 [18]Read full story and post a comment»

Faith leaders remind Obama of promise to cut poverty in half

   WASHINGTON (UMNS) â Heads of National Council of Churches' member
   communions, including two United Methodist bishops, and NCC staff
leaders,
   used the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. birthday weekend to urge President
   Obama to use his Jan. 25 State of the Union message to reassert his
dramatic
   campaign pledge to "cut poverty in half" in the next 10 years. Bishop
Larry
   M. Goodpaster, president of the United Methodist Council of Bishops, and
   Bishop Sharon Zimmerman Rader, ecumenical officer for the Council of
   Bishops, signed a letter sent to the president.

                                              [19]Read full letter here»

Methodists in Brazil respond to floods

   RIO DE JANEIRO (UMNS) â The Methodist Church in Brazil is collecting
   donations in response to flooding and mudslides there that have killed
more
   than 700 people and left thousands homeless. Bishop Paul Lockmann said he
   shared âin the pain of our peopleâ and called the flooding âone of the
most
   difficult moments of our ministry life.â

   Churches that remain standing in the flooded mountainous region were
   sheltering several families. "We have here a very difficult situation.
There
   are still people who are missing and others that were not rescued," said
the
   Rev. Paulo Rangel, who is serving the homeless at the Church of Nova
   Friburgo.

   Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy
   [20]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [21]Rethink Church
             [22]TechShop
             [23]EcuFilm
             [24]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [25]Interpreter Magazine
      [26]El' Interprete
      [27]United Methodists In Service
             [28]InfoServ
             [29]Kingswood Communications
   [30]United Methodist News Service
      [31]UM Audio
      [32]UMTV
             [33]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [34]United Methodist Communications International
             [35]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [36]Crisis Communications
                     [37]Communications Training
                     [38]Program Calendars
                     [39]United Methodist Press Center
                     [40]Scholarships
   [41]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and
Designated
   Giving
                     [42]United Methodist Productions

       [43]http://umns.umc.org | [44]Privacy Policy | [45]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [46]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [47]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [4184062976.gif]