Editorial: The infamous 18% interest rate

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:00:01 +0800

3073 Edition

January 17-23, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: The infamous 18% interest rate

Translated by Lydia Ma

An old 77 year old man is seen selling magnolias under a freeway overpass
near Kaohsiung. On a placard in front of him are scribbled the words “I
don’t have 18%, so I sell magnolias to make a living.”

Not only is this old fellow venting his anger at the controversial 18%
preferential interest rate retired civil servants receive on their
pensions, he’s also clever in manipulating controversy to his advantage.

From a Christian perspective, life is often full of unreasonable and unfair
things and the call of every Christian throughout history has been to
promote justice as part of advancing God’s kingdom on earth.

The preferential 18% interest rate that retired teachers, veterans, and
civil servants receive is a historical relic and a reflection of an era
from which we’ve recently emerged from that included many ludicrous things
that benefited the rich and the powerful. But it’s one thing to criticize
an unfair phenomenon, and quite another thing to use it to attack another
person to advance self-interests.

When the richest 5% in Taiwan’s population are 66 times richer than the
poorest 5%, it’s no wonder that Taiwanese people at the bottom of this
economic food-chain hate veterans, civil servants, and public school
teachers for having a preferential interest rate. But this fury should be
directed at an unfair system promoted by the KMT government instead of
targeting it towards recipients of this preferential treatment.

Besides advocating for righteousness and justice through various movements,
churches can also learn a lot from history and from role models such as
Nobel Peace Prize 2006 laureate Muhammad Yunus and his Grameen Bank. Both
were awarded the prize "for their efforts to create economic and social
development from below".

Yunus founded a bank in 1976 that lent money to women living in the village
of Jobra, Bangladesh, at a much lower interest rate than average lenders.
As of 2004, millions of women in Bangladesh were able to make a living,
raise a family, and succeed in life because of  such low-interest loans.

In contrast, the KMT that fled China in defeat and ruled over Taiwan
afterwards and throughout the past 50 years except for a brief 8-year lapse
brought with it corruption and immorality and influenced and stained
Taiwanese culture.

As the Church, we have a responsibility to make these customs a relic of
the past so that, as Yunus once said, future generations will only see
poverty inside museums.

Jesus himself showed us how God feels about corruption when he overturned
the tables of moneychangers in the courtyard of God’s temple in Jerusalem
and stopped a corrupt system that bullied the masses. His feeding of
thousands shortly after this incident also shows us what and who he
prioritized.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge
the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer. Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)