UCC congregations lace up to meet 'Three Million Walking Challenge'

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:50:29 -0800

UCC congregations lace up to meet 'Three Million Walking Challenge'

Written by Jeff Woodard
January 26, 2011

Positioning its momentum squarely onto the trail
blazed by First Lady Michelle Obama's "Let's
Move" initiative to battle obesity in America,
the United Church of Christ is asking all of its
churches to get up and get going.

As part of the "Three Million Walking Challenge,"
the UCC goal is for at least 250 churches and/or
2,500 UCC members to commit to walking 5 miles or
10,000 steps a week in two phases ? Jan. 30-June 17, and July 11- Nov. 18.

The combined goal is 600,000 miles. Final totals
will be sent to Obama, whose hope is that faith
and community organizations nationwide walk a
collective 3 million miles by the end of November.

Setting the early pace for the longer haul was
the high-energy worship service Jan. 19 in the
Amistad Chapel at the UCC's national headquarters
in Cleveland. Worshipers sampled "Instant Recess!
Bringing Mind-Body-Spirit Wellness Into Our Faith
Journeys," a session developed by a member of the
"Let's Move" campaign that invites participants
to move for 10 minutes of health.

"It featured a great YouTube video that had
everyone on their feet and in their chairs
walking with a dance beat with some simple
exercises," says Kimberly Whitney, UCC minister
for community life and assistant to the
Collegium. "It was inspired by (UCC Minister for
Health Care Justice) Barbara Baylor's reading of
the Beatitudes from a lens for good health."

Meanwhile, in Pendleton, S.C., Pastor Susie Smith
and members of Peace Congregational UCC ? a
new-church start prepared to receive full UCC
standing this spring ? have April 2 highlighted on their calendars.

"We are planning the first annual Peace Power Run
for our community," says Smith. "It will be a
5k-certified course run as part of Pendleton's Spring Jubilee."

Impetus for the event was generated by Peace
Congregational members and avid runners Nancy
King and Maria Mayorga. One day during their
mind-clearing, energizing run, the idea for the race emerged.

"The historic division of our Community Square
has this juried art show (Spring Jubilee) on the
first Saturday in April," says King, noting that
a quarter-mile "fun run" for children will also
be held. "They said they'd tie our church's race
into promotion of their event if we give them a
percentage of the money to help them restore one of the historical building
s."

Partnering with Spring Jubilee has helped Peace
Congregational to a fast start out of the
marketing blocks. "They put our church's name and
event on their advertising to places like
Charlotte and Atlanta, and all over the arts community," says King.

Peace Congregational is extending an extravagant
invitation to any and all out-of-towners
traveling to Pendleton for the run. "If they can
get here, we'll find a place from them to stay,"
says Smith, further sweetening the pot by noting
that early spring weather in Pendleton can be most comfortable.

A 20-week milestone celebration will be held at
General Synod the first week in July in Tampa,
Fla., to recognize individuals and/or churches
for their commitment to walking during the first
five months of the challenge. Those participating
in the second half will be honored in November.

Research data has shown that walking briskly for
30 minutes five times a week can reduce the risk
of heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis,
arthritis and some cancers. It also aids brain
power and long-term weight management; creates an
overall sense of well-being; and may lead to reduced health-insurance costs.