UCC minister for racial justice to lead ecumenical, interfaith relation

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 12:54:21 -0800

UCC minister for racial justice to lead ecumenical, interfaith relations

Written by Jeff Woodard
February 1, 2011

The Rev. Karen Georgia Thompson, Minister for Racial Justice in UCC Justice and Witness Ministries for the past two years, has been named the church's Minister for Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations.

"Rev. Thompson comes to this position with a wealth of experience in the wider church setting, having served on the Florida Conference staff and here in the national setting as Minister for Racial Justice," said the Rev. Geoffrey A. Black, UCC General Minister and President, in announcing the appointment Jan. 28.

Thompson says she is "challengingly excited" about the opportunity, assessing it as a natural extension of her work. "In terms of the work that I've been doing with our ecumenical partners and the World Council of Churches, I'll be continuing that in a different capacity.

"Racial justice is something that the ecumenical community continues to struggle with," said Thompson, "even as we talk about the unity of the church and how to function collaboratively. I'm looking forward to connecting some different dots."

Peter Makari, search committee member and UCC area executive for the Middle East and Europe, said, "Karen will represent the UCC well, given her experience in the conference and national settings, and her work in a variety of ecumenical witness."

Thompson will assume her new position March 1.