Editorial: More social awareness and practice needed

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 8 Feb 2011 15:18:09 +0800

3074 Edition

January 24-30, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: More social awareness and practice needed

Translated by Lydia Ma

A while ago, about 20 children gathered in front of Taipei First Girls High
School to plead with President Ma to protect wetlands in Changhua which
will be destroyed if Kuokuang Petrochemical Ltd. builds a refinery nearby.
A fourth-grader wrote on her sign: ”I hope the President can join us in
protecting belugas and the environment, because one person’s effort isn’t
enough to create a healthy environment and a safe country.”

In another part of the country, high-school and college students discussed
plans for a vigil outside EPA headquarters on January 26, 2011, to raise
awareness on the health hazards that may result from building this
refinery. Their signs are very eye-catching and relevant to the times we
live in.

We are relieved to see and hear that our education system can produce young
people willing to rise up and take a stand, and challenge stereotypes about
college students being a bunch of useless and stupid youths. It seems
environmentalists are finally seeing a flicker of hope after trying without
success to change government officials.

According to U.S. psychologist John B. Watson who specialized in
behaviorism, he could make doctors, lawyers, robbers, or burglars out of a
dozen children by simply placing them in different environments. Watson’s
proposed that human behavior is neither innate nor inherited, but acquired
and learnt through interaction with people and observation of surrounding
environments.

Hence, we should be glad when we witness a decline in the median age of
people involved in civic movements because it means the sense of social
awareness is growing stronger and setting into young people’s minds earlier
than before. If only students in today’s Taiwan had more “practical
training and social awareness”, this country would be very different from
what it is now.

To illustrate this point, we need only look at recent headlines describing
“crocodile judges” and “doctors-turned-pharmaceutical vendors”. One
headline pokes fun of how out-of-touch with the real world most judges have
become by spending so much time studying for exams, while the other
criticizes a medical school system that produces more pharmaceutical
vendors than skilled physicians. Both allude to professionals’ lack of
critical judgment and social awareness – or the problem with lifeless and
theoretic education.

In contrast, Dr. George Leslie Mackay emphasized practical training and
social awareness when he taught his students. This edition of Taiwan Church
News features a story about medical school students from Mackay Medical
School getting out of ivory towers and visiting Aborigine reservations in
rural areas to offer pro-bono services. For Mackay, a physician’s oath to
serve others was more than paying lip-service.

In the same way, our faith needs a bit more “social awareness and practical
training” because it’s only through practicing what we preach that we can
learn to love others like Jesus would love them. Though we are saved by
faith alone through a personal relationship with Christ, looking out for
our brethren and helping one another flourish is just as important.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge
the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer. Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)