Editorial: What the wrong sentencing of an air force private says about crime and punishment

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:15:42 +0800

3076 Edition
February 7-13, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: What the wrong sentencing of an air force private says about crime
and punishment

Translated by Lydia Ma

New evidence suggesting that Chiang Kuo-ching was wrongfully executed for the
murder of a girl 15 years ago surfaced recently when another suspect confessed
to the crime, prompting public outcry. Though President Ma and National Defense
Minister Kao Hua-chu apologized to the Chiang family due to public pressure,
the incident prompted re-examination of whether capital punishment ought to be
abolished.

Though the death penalty remains a divisive issue, religious and humanitarian
organizations in Taiwan both claim that it’s a cruel and unusual punishment
that shouldn’t exist in a civilized society. They claim the purpose of any
punishment should be rehabilitative in nature. However, supporters of capital
punishment assert the death penalty shouldn’t be abolished because it serves
both a corrective measure and a retributive measure.

The Bible contains many teachings and stories about “crime and punishment”.
When Cain murdered his brother Abel and committed the first homicide in the
history of humankind, what God did in response is worth revisiting. We note in
Genesis that since humans are made in God’s image, therefore, their lives are
in God’s hands.

If we keep reading, we’ll notice that in New Testament times, God’s
“righteousness” and “justice” remain unchanged, but something greater – Jesus’
“love” – overshadows them. Hence, many laws of the Old Testament are no longer
applied in the New Testament or in modern times, though all three address the
price of wrongful actions.

The major difference between New Testament times and Old Testament times is
that whereas the former emphasizes restitution, sacrifice, repentance, and
restoration, the latter puts the onus on prevention of sins beforehand rather
than restitution for sins afterwards. New Testament writers emphasize that
humans can be freed from sin’s bondage if they’re willing to be reconciled with
God through the cross of Jesus, which offers salvation and transformation.

God is both loving and just and the Bible’s principles on “crime and
punishment” will never change. We believe that those who commit crimes must pay
for their actions, but the power to take away the life of a criminal should not
rest in the hands of mere mortals. If murderers don’t repent, God will
eventually avenge, for the Bible clearly states, “The wages of sin is death”
(Romans 6:23).

From the wrong sentencing of air-force Private Chiang Kuo-ching and from the
love of Christ, we sincerely hope for the abolition of capital punishment!

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)