WCC NEWS: South Sudan: churches needed for nation-building

From WCC media <noreply@wcc-coe.org>
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2011 14:11:13 +0100

World Council of Churches - News

SOUTH SUDAN IS BORN, ECUMENICAL MOVEMENT NEEDED FOR NATION-BUILDING

For immediate release: 21 February 2011

African religious leaders praised ecumenical bodies last Friday –
particularly the World Council of Churches (WCC) – for helping create
"the miracle" of southern Sudanese independence.

They warned, however, that "the journey is still long" and continuing
efforts by the ecumenical community will be needed for some time into the
future.

In the 9 January referendum nearly 99 percent of voters in southern Sudan
– which is predominantly Christian and animist – chose to secede from
the Islamic State of Sudan based in the northern capital of Khartoum.  In
doing so they created the world's newest nation.

According to the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA), the official
independence from Sudan comes on 9 July, at which time the nation is
expected to be named the Republic of South Sudan.

"At the end of the day, we thank God for bringing all this war to an end,"
the Rev. James Lagos Alexander of the Khartoum-based Africa Inland Church,
told a packed hearing on Sudan during the WCC Central Committee meeting in
Geneva, Switzerland.

"The referendum proved that the southern Sudanese are capable. Please
continue to accompany them,“ he said.

The referendum ends nearly 60 years of intractable conflict in the country
– which gained its independence from the British and Egyptian
governments in 1956 – including two civil wars that consumed more than
three decades (1963-1972 and 1983-2005). During those years more than 2
million Sudanese died and 4 million were displaced.

That the referendum came off peacefully and as scheduled is widely
attributed to African religious leaders and ecumenical organizations in
the region and throughout Africa.

That effort was spearheaded by the Sudan Ecumenical Forum (SEF) – created
in 1995 in the midst of the second civil war – the All Africa Conference
of Churches (AACC), the Sudan Council of Churches, and most recently by an
SEF diplomatic team led by the special ecumenical envoy Rev. Samuel Kobia,
former general secretary of the WCC.

The referendum was mandated by the 2005 CPA between the north and south
that churches were instrumental in brokering.

"By 2009, it was clear to Sudan churches that preparations [for the vote]
were not going well," Kobia said, "so we appealed to the international
ecumenical community to rescue the CPA."

The SEF team moved quickly in four directions, Kobia said: making sure that
all parties to the CPA remained committed to holding the referendum as
scheduled, creating a peaceful atmosphere for the voting throughout
southern Sudan, promoting unity of purpose for the voting, and mounting a
voter education effort.

"This was the first time voting for most Sudanese," Kobia said, "so
churches dispatched 350 observers – I don't think any election anywhere
has been so closely observed."

The universal conclusion that the balloting process was valid, Kobia said,
means "there was no one to dispute the results. The first to acknowledge
this was Omar al-Bashir," he added, referring to the Sudanese president
who had stubbornly resisted the referendum.

Now attention turns to 9 July 2011, when building the nation of South Sudan
begins. Kobia outlined eight key post-referendum issues that must be
resolved.

They include a follow-up referendum in the oil-rich border state of Abyei
and further border demarcations, an oil revenue-sharing agreement, water
management, disposition of indebtedness, citizenship agreements and
international and security arrangements.

Having been so active in facilitating the peace process, the churches "must
enter a process of discernment about how to accompany the people in
solidarity on nation-building," Kobia said.

And he worries about Christians in the north, where stricter Sharia law is
inevitable. "Khartoum wants no rights for Christians in the north," he
said. "Many Christian churches and schools are now empty, but we still
have a vibrant Christian community in the north, so we are talking with
the AACC and the Middle East Council of Churches to see how we can best
support our brothers and sisters in the north."

The churches and ecumenical community will have a critical role to play for
the foreseeable future, said Bishop Robert Aboagye-Mensah, a Ghanaian
Methodist and vice-president of the AACC.

"It is important to understand the important role of the church in making
these changes possible," he said. "If the church had not accompanied the
Sudanese, the CPA would not have been possible and the referendum would
not have happened. Now, as this new nation is built, the message of the
Sudanese to the church is 'Please don't abandon us!'"

WCC member churches in Sudan (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=2fd366463e8cf32260a4 )

More information on the Central Committee meeting (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=f82f25a1af381283bd27 )

Photos of the meeting (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=78c901250f6e54d7fad6 )

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness
and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of
churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 349 Protestant,
Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million
Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman
Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit,
from the [Lutheran] Church of Norway. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

You receive this information as a subscriber of our media list. You are
registered as Worldwide Faith News with the address wfn-editors@wfn.org.
Click here to unsubscribe or change your distribution settings
(Link: http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=ed2f19ccd1496df90c4e ).