WCC NEWS: WCC condemns violence in Libya

From WCC media <noreply@wcc-coe.org>
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:48:28 +0100

World Council of Churches - News

WCC CONDEMNS VIOLENCE IN LIBYA

For immediate release: 22 February 2011

On the final morning of its proceedings the World Council of Churches
(WCC) Central Committee adopted a resolution concerning the escalating
violence in Libya condemning the use of force on all sides and calling for
the respect for human rights of all people in Libya.

The Central Committee has been meeting since 16 February and is the highest
governing body of the WCC and meets every 18 months.

The resolution recognizes the growing violence in Libya and “expresses
its deep concern about disturbing reports” of the killing of hundreds of
protestors in clashes with Libyan security forces over the past few days.

“We call all parties to respect the human rights of all people in Libya
and we urge that ways be found to establish a peaceful dialogue to end the
violence,” the resolution says.

The resolution closes by saying that the 150 Central Committee members
“pray and hope for the safety of the people of Libya, and for a
non-violent and just resolution of this current conflict.”

Full text of the resolution (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=f39bc97e79b0a4bd088f )

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness
and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of
churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 349 Protestant,
Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million
Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman
Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit,
from the [Lutheran] Church of Norway. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

You receive this information as a subscriber of our media list. You are
registered as Worldwide Faith News with the address wfn-editors@wfn.org.
Click here to unsubscribe or change your distribution settings
(Link: http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=ae40466bb9b15e608d03 ).