Editorial: Shining the spotlight on Aborigine ministries

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:09:58 +0800

3077 Edition

February 14-20, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: Shining the spotlight on Aborigine ministries

Translated by Lydia Ma

Taiwanese Aborigines are geographically dispersed throughout the country; they live in off-shore islands, by seasides, in valleys, on mountaintops and the deeper parts of our forests, and in plains. Most aborigines depend on fishing, hunting, and farming to make a living for themselves.

With the advent of technology and trade and the rise of organizations such as WTO, and the mass influx of cheap imports, we’ve seen a significant decrease in consumption and sale of domestic products. One of the side-effects of increased imports is urban migration among Aborigines who are manual laborers.

However, making a living in urban areas is not easy for Aborigines in search for jobs because they must compete with foreign laborers who’ve come to Taiwan for the same reason – to make a living through low-paid, manual labor jobs, or jobs typical Taiwanese aren’t willing to do.

Besides these challenges, Typhoon Morakot destroyed many Aborigine reservations in 2009, forcing even more Aborigines to evacuate their homes and properties. Soon after Typhoon Morakot, a few organizations somehow convinced the Ma administration that the land needed “rest”. As result, Aborigines who were already left homeless by the typhoon were forced from their lands permanently. “Permanent housing units” for aborigines were soon passed in the legislature without respecting or consulting Taiwan’s native people.

As we mark Aborigine Sunday this week and support Aborigine ministries through prayer and financial offerings, we are reminded of an old missionary who reached out to disenfranchised Aborigines while she ministered in Taiwan and could offer a stark contrast or alternative model to Taiwanese officials.

Her name is Lilian R. Dickson and she is the Canadian missionary who founded Mustard Seed Mission in 1952. Besides helping the poor and the sick, this organization also helped train Aborigines by offering group lessons. “in nursing, carpentry, arts, mechanics, and childcare so that they could find employment and make a living and provide for their families.

Mrs. Dickson followed examples set by her predecessors such as James Maxwell, George Mackay, etc. and her example would become an inspiration for future leaders such as C.M. Kao and Yang.

We pray that our Aborigine churches will rise to the challenge before them and won’t stop ministering at home or abroad simply because of discouragements in daily life. We also pray that fellow PCT members will continue to support Aborigine ministries.

For more information on Lilian Dickson, go to: http://thetaiwanese.blogspot.com/2007/11/mrs-lillian-dickson.html

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer. Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)