Christian Reformed Church Appoints Chung as Director of Home Missions

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:36:11 -0800

CRC Names Home Missions Director

February 24, 2011 -- The Christian Reformed

Church in North America voted unanimously on
Thursday to appoint Rev. Moses Chung as the next
director of Christian Reformed Home Missions.

He will start May 1, taking over from interim
director Ben Vandezande, a veteran CRHM leader
who was pleased with the appointment made by the
BOT at its meeting in Burlington, Ontario.

"Moses Chung brings to Home Missions a fresh
energy and vision for the mission of God in North
America and around the world," said Vandezande.

Chung was introduced to the BOT by Michael

Talsma, a member of the Home Missions board that
made the nomination. ?We are beginning a new
chapter in Home Missions,? Talsma said.

Chung told the BOT that his dream is for the
CRCNA to be a leading voice for mission in North
America and around the world. "I really sense
that God is at work,? he said, and Home Missions
?will play a part in what God is doing in North America today."

He said that a key part of the task is raising up
leaders. "I'm just passionate about leadership,?
he said, and it is important for the CRC to
invest in that. "I understand my personal calling
as 'helping the church to be the church' for our generation."

Born in Incheon, South Korea, Chung is married to
Eunae and has two children. He is a 1993 graduate
of Calvin College, received his M. Div. from
Calvin Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids,
Mich. in 1999, and is currently working towards a
doctorate in ministry and mission leadership at
Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California.

In his first pastoral job, he was the minister of
discipleship at First CRC of Bellflower,
California. From 2003-2007, Chung served as
associate pastor at New Life Community Church
(Reformed Church in America) in Artesia,
California, one of the most ethnically diverse places in North America.

From 2007 until now, Chung has been an associate
pastor in Busan, Korea at Sooyoungro Presbyterian
Church, which attracts 30,000 worshippers each
Sunday. Chung preached regularly and was an
executive administrator of a staff of 200.
He also was instrumental in helping to develop
mission leaders in Korea ? a task that he will
continue in North America with CRHM.

"God has given me leadership positions and roles
that always pushed my thinking and ministry
toward helping churches and leaders to be more
mission-focused and outward-looking," he states.

As Home Missions' director, Chung will focus on
multiplying new churches and campus ministries,
cultivating diverse mission-focused leaders, and
helping churches discern their place in God's mission.

"I rejoice in what God is doing in North America
and the world today," says Chung. "I am convinced
that Home Missions, with its long history of
being the 'leading prophetic voice and cutting
edge' agency in the CRC, has important contributions to make."

?Christian Reformed Home Missions, Christian Reformed Church communicatio ns

--
Chris Meehan
News & Media Manager