Ecumenical Column: Let’s beat swords into plowshares

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:23:52 +0800

3078 Edition
February 21-27, 2011

Ecumenical Column/Editorial

Ecumenical Column: Let’s beat swords into plowshares

Written by Wu Hsin-ju

Translated by Lydia Ma

The biblically-inspired phrase “beat swords into plowshares” was commonly used
by churches in East Germany in 1982 during a peace movement that culminated in
the fall of the Berlin Wall and massive changes to its authoritarian government.

Recently, I had the opportunity to meet with the pastor who made this phrase
popular – Rev. Christian Fuhrer from Leipzig Nicholas Church. We discussed the
“Peace Prayer” meetings that he started then, which eventually led to
“Revolution of Candles” among churches in East Germany, and the birth and
development of democratic movements in East Germany.

Though Christian Fuhrer retired in 2008, he still presides over the “Peace
Prayer” meetings that he helped start in 1982. They’re still held at Leipzig
Nicholas Church every Monday and people continue to gather and pray for world
peace and justice.

Though East Germany was ruled by an atheist Communist government at the time,
officials didn’t ban or destroy churches because of its stabilizing effect on
society. However, merely 10% to 20% of East Germans would identify themselves
as Christians.

Hence, it was a miracle that the call to turn swords into plowshares would
quickly catch on in mainstream society and become an inspiration and invitation
for young people to become part of a democratic movement.

This catchword ignited hope in the hearts of many disillusioned East Germans.
“If you ask me about miracles during the democratic revolution in East Germany,
I’d say that seeing God’s word inspire and impact non-Christians to join
Christians in this movement is the biggest miracle of all,” said Christian
Fuhrer. “The most important teaching of Jesus is non-violence and peace. No one
has the right to take away another person’s God-given rights and dignity using
coercion and violence. Though these words were spoken by a prophet some 2,700
years ago, they still apply today.”

Despite the success of the “Revolution of Candles” and the German unification,
Christian Fuhrer continued to speak out on the importance of peace and justice
for he knew other aspects of justice needed attention – such as economic
justice. “Economic disparity should be part of our prayers for peace too
because it creates inequity between the rich and the poor, unemployment, and
poverty, all of which could be defined as ‘economic violence’.”

Due of his tireless efforts in advancing democracy and peace, Christian Fuhrer
has received many awards and accolades over the years. But he insists on
accepting only those that also recognize the efforts of fellow democracy and
peace activists.

During an award ceremony in 1995, he remarked, “As long as there are still
students, workers, middle-age people in their 50s who want to work but cannot
find employment, the peace revolution isn’t over yet. As long as there are
folks who can’t find affordable housing while many new or refurnished mansions
are being built or left unoccupied, the peace revolution isn’t over yet. This
second peace revolution will not be any easier than the first one.”

Christian Fuhrer believes people involved in the ecumenical movement today
should be as determined as German peace activists in the 1980s because poverty
and exploitation are root causes of many religious conflicts. It’s time the
Church turned the “sword of economic injustice” into a plowshare enabling
welfare and security for all.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)