Elementary school teacher wants next generation to remember 228 Massacre

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:27:06 +0800

3078 Edition

February 21-27, 2011

Headline News

Elementary school teacher wants next generation to remember 228 Massacre

Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan

Written by Lydia Ma

If we celebrate and talk about the meaning of Lantern Festival and Hakka
festivals, why can’t we do the same for 228 Peace Memorial Day?” asked
Mountain-Foot Elementary School teacher, Kuo Yan-lin. He is also a member of
Mountain-Foot Presbyterian Church in Miaoli County, which belongs to Hsinchu
Presbytery.

With 228 Peace Memorial Day approaching next Monday, Kuo believes that holiday
should be remembered and taught to children with the same emphasis as other
holidays such as Tomb Sweeping Day or Lantern Festival. He supports an
objective and healthy approach to understanding this historical event and
believes that it’s imperative that children learn the truth about what happened
on February 28, 1947, so they can learn from it and prevent history from
repeating itself.

“228 Peace Memorial day is just around the corner. Should we shut our eyes and
cover our ears and pretend we don’t see or hear?” he wondered, adding that
Taiwanese have much to learn from Germans who came to terms with the atrocities
of Nazi Germany learned their lessons, and moved on.

In contrast, anyone in Taiwan who publicly brings up the 228 Massacre risks
being labeled a manipulator, or one who likes to add salt to wounds. This is
especially true in Miaoli, where most folks are very conservative.

“We must talk about 228; otherwise, it’s very likely it’ll happen again!” he
said resolutely, in spite of facing pressure from school administrators, cold
treatment from his colleagues, and possibly complaints from his students’
parents in the next few days.

Asked whether he’s worried or afraid of repercussions he might face for his
insistence, Kuo replied, “God is with me. God is just, faithful, and I can rely
on God!” But he added that he’d appreciate prayers from fellow Christians for
his well-being and for the day when the 228 Massacre can be taught and
remembered with the same emphasis as other national holidays.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)