WCC NEWS: Inter-Orthodox consultation: Nature of the Church

From WCC media <noreply@wcc-coe.org>
Date Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:56:20 +0100

World Council of Churches - News

TVEIT MEETS WITH ARCHBISHOP AND PRESIDENT OF CYPRUS

For immediate release: 04 March 2011

The general secretary of the World Council of Churches (WCC), Rev. Dr
Olav Fykse Tveit met with Archbishop Chrysostomos II of the Church of
Cyprus and the president of Cyprus, Dr Demetris Christofias, in separate
meetings Thursday in Nicosia.

At a meeting with Chrysostomos at the archdiocese, the two spoke about the
importance of dialogue and the role of religious leadership, particularly
in situations of occupation, division and conflict.

For nearly two generations Cyprus has been a place of separation and
conflict. Efforts have continued throughout the years, including many
involving the United Nations, to end the conflict.

Tveit is in Cyprus to attend a week-long inter-Orthodox consultation on the
nature and mission of the church (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=92b8b0279116143b28ac
). The consultation is being held in Ayia Napa.

“Cyprus is an island at the crossroads of civilizations and religions,”
Tveit said after his meeting with the archbishop. “It has a long
experience of peaceful coexistence between people of different confessions
and religions.”

Tveit said the conflict in Cyprus is not a religious one, but religion has
become part of the separation. “The conflict has prevented people from
visiting and worshipping in their holy sites.”

“I am encouraged that the archbishop has taken initiatives to meet with
the Turkish Cypriot religious leadership and is willing to work with them.
These are signs of hope for the future,” he said.

The WCC has followed the conflict since 1974 and supports a solution of the
Cyprus conflict based on the UN resolutions. Over the years, there has
been a particular focus of the WCC on the respect for human rights, the
right to worship and religious freedom.

“We as churches, sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ, are called to deal
with difficult memories of the past and to work for reconciliation with a
vision for justice and peace for the future. We need to listen to the pain
of one another to pave the way for forgiveness and coexistence. The Church
of Cyprus has strong leadership and deep roots in the history and life of
this country. Hence, it has the power to bring new visions of a life
together in a united Cyprus. I hope and pray that all religious leaders in
Cyprus can work together in a way that leads toward the path of justice
and peace,” the general secretary concluded.

In a meeting with President Christofias, Tveit was able to explain the work
of the WCC and its member churches in conflict and post conflict
situations. He expressed the WCC hope for peace efforts in Cyprus. The two
met at the presidential palace.

“We believe that walls can come down, including the ‘wall’ which
divides Cyprus today. There is however a wall in our souls which also
needs to be addressed,” said Tveit after the meeting with Christofias.
(Link:  )

“We pray for the political leaders of both communities,” he continued.
“It is encouraging to listen to the president’s commitment to finding
a just and sustainable peace, acting with wisdom and courage,” Tveit
said. “Bringing about a viable, peaceful solution to a political
conflict can be a long and arduous process, which requires accepting hard
compromises and real commitment to peace as well as the patience and
goodwill of all parties concerned. On both sides there are people longing
for a future together in real peace and justice.”

Tveit was accompanied on both visits by Metropolitan Prof. Dr Gennadios of
Sassima, vice-moderator of the WCC Central Committee, Metropolitan Dr
Vasilios of Constantia-Ammochostos, moderator of the Faith and Order
Commission, and Georges Lemopoulos, deputy general secretary of the WCC.

More information on the Church of Cyprus (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=be0849061ad28dd30513 )

More information on WCC advocacy for justice, peace and human rights
(Link: http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=eeeb519e7e9786d638a1 )

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness
and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of
churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 349 Protestant,
Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million
Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman
Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit,
from the [Lutheran] Church of Norway. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

You receive this information as a subscriber of our media list. You are
registered as Worldwide Faith News with the address wfn-editors@wfn.org.
Click here to unsubscribe or change your distribution settings
(Link: http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=b65bbccba9ba73d69501 ).