?The Anglican Communion is one family? Ghanaian bishop tells theologians

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:29:16 -0800

Posted On : March 8, 2011 5:07 PM | Posted By : Admin ACO
ACNS: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2011/3/8/ACNS4810
Related Categories: ACO - Indaba  Central Africa

?The Anglican Communion is one family? Ghanaian bishop tells theologian s.

By ACNS staff

Ghanaian bishop Festus Yeboah-Asuamah told a
recent meeting of Ghanaian theologians that while
the challenges facing the Communion were
?complex?, and that the answers may yet be ?far away? there was hop e in unity.

Speaking at the latest Continuing Indaba ?hub?
meeting, Bishop Festus said, ?There is hope! We
should try as much as possible to keep the
Anglican Communion together ? we are one family.?

He was one of ten theologians who met on March
4-5 to consider how Ghanaian culture and theology
could shape the Continuing Indaba1 initiative
taking place across the Anglican Communion.

Facilitated by Dr Victor Atta-Baffoe, Dean of St
Nicholas Seminary in Ghana?s Cape Coast, the
group considered a number of models of
conversation from their cultural perspectives
that resonate with the Scriptures and the traditions of the church.

The group, which comprised both lay and ordained
men and women, considered how the Scriptures and
Christian tradition might resonate with Ghanaian
cultural perspectives to assist the Anglican
Communion. In particular they discussed the place
of the wisdom of the ?Old Lady? in Ghanaian
culture. The Old Lady is understood as collective
wisdom concerned for finding an end to otherwise
endless dialogue by paying attention to the unity
of the whole community. The theologians also
reflected on the significance of the ?linguist,?
the ?gong gong? or ?proclaimer?, and the ?talking
drum? in discovering identity and maintaining unity in diverse communitie s.

The group ranged in age from 29 to 72. One of the
older members remarked that he discovered that
some of their traditional practices had great
value because they often relate closely to Scripture.

The Ven Paul Katampu reflected on the peace

efforts in the north of Ghana that helped to
prevent civil war there. The process concentrated
on grassroots peace-building before addressing issues directly.

Mrs Stella Ansah, the leader of the Alpha groups
in Accra diocese , said ?Whatever we do here we
should bring it down to earth so the lay at the
local level can be helped in the tensions that
exist in many parishes in our dioceses.?

The consultation was the latest of the Continuing
Indaba resource hubs that aim to gather resources
to ensure that Continuing Indaba is faithful to
Scripture and shaped by the cultures of the Communion.
Other hubs have taken place in Kenya, Tanzania
and Southern Africa as well as the West Indies,
England, North India, Hong Kong and the USA.

The hub was convened by Bishop Matthias

Medadues-Badohu ? Presiding Bishop of Ghana ? and
resourced by Canon Phil Groves of the Anglican
Communion Office. Canon Groves was welcomed to
Ghana by the Most Revd Justice Okrofi, Primate of
West Africa and by the House of Bishops of Ghana meeting in Kumasi on March  1.

The theologians have committed themselves to
write essays and articles emerging from their
discussions for future publication. Vincent
Assanful, who lectures in traditional religions
at Ghana?s University of Cape Coast, was greatly
encouraged by the consultation. He said, ?People must sit together and li sten?.

See below for a statement by Dr Victor Atta-Baffoe.

ENDS

Notes to Editors

·         Continuing Indaba is project focusing
on developing the relational bonds of affection
in the Anglican Communion. Its aim is to make
real a common bond of working in mission as equal
partners in the Gospel. The use of the term
?Indaba? indicates a desire to use non-Western
models of working and ?continuing? indicates an unfinished task.
·         The participants were:
Mr. Vincent Assanful, Lecturer in African
Traditional Religion and Comparative Religion,
St. Nicholas Seminary - Cape Coast;
Rt. Rev. Dr. Festus Yeboah-Asuamah, Bishop of Sunyani
Ven. Paul Shaibu Katampu, Lecturer in Pastoral
Theology, St. Nicholas Seminary - Cape Coast
Mrs. Stella Ansah, Lay person, Diocese of Accra
Mrs. Nana Serwah Ayibotele, Lay person, Diocese of Accra
Rev. Canon Dr. Harry F. Orland-Mensah, Director,
Diocesan Ministerial Training School, Diocese of Accra
Mr. Kojo Okyere, Lecturer in Old Testament
Studies, St. Nicholas Seminary - Cape Coast
Rt. Rev. Matthias K. Medadues-Badohu, Bishop of Ho/Presiding Bishop of Ghana
Very Rev. Simon Kofi Ablorh, Rural Dean of Agbozume Deanery, Diocese of Ho
·         The Anglican Communion Office serves
the Anglican Communion, comprising around 80
million members in 44 regional and national
member churches around the globe in more than 160
countries. http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

Statement made by The Very Revd Dr Victor

Atta-Baffoe, Dean of St Nicholas Seminary, Cape Coast Ghana.

Dear participants,

We gathered here in the name of God with mutual
concern and responsibility. We met as a body with
our uniqueness and differences, but for one
purpose - of listening and encouraging each other
in "a journey of conversation to strengthen
relationship for mission" in the Anglican Communion.

As people of faith, we have encouraged ourselves
within the context of prayer and reflection, to
draw on our cultural and traditional heritage to
enhance the listening and conversation process
for the Communion and also the Anglican Church, Ghana.

I am happy to say that we have, individually and
collectively, committed ourselves to this noble
task. We look forward to creating space for
reflective thinking and conversation. We hope,
God willing to meet again from 4th to 5th May,
2011 to share those thoughts and to engage in
further discussion and reflection.

We know the task ahead will not be easy but we
are hopeful. We trust the grace of God for
direction, fortitude and sense of purpose, the
love Christ to sustain us and the fellowship of
the Holy Spirit to strengthen us in this
enterprise. We thank you all for your commitment
and sense of duty for this project. God bless you all.

Best wishes
Victor