Gustavo Parajón, Nicaragua Peacemaker, dies

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:30:34 -0400

>Gustavo Parajón, Nicaragua Peacemaker, dies

>by Johnny Almond
>Baptist Peace Fellowship of North America

>March 14, 2011

Managua, Nicaragua, March 14, 2011 - The Rev. Dr. Gustavo Parajón, a medical
doctor and pastor who was a leading voice for peace and justice ministry in
Nicaragua for more than 40 years, died Saturday at his home there. His passing
was sudden and unexpected.

He was an active supporter and participant in the Baptist peace Fellowship of
North America and a former American Baptist missionary.

Parajón served as pastor of the First Baptist Church of Managua, Nicaragua,
and in 1967 founded PROVADENIC (Nicaragua Vaccination and community Development
Program) in partnership with the First Baptist Church of Cleveland, Ohio,
the Nicaraguan Baptist Convention and the First Baptist Church of Managua.

PROVADENIC is a primary health care program that serves 25 rural communities
by training local health promoters to treat and prevent common illnesses.
Parajón was also the founder of CEPAD (Nicaraguan Council of Evangelical
Churches), the ecumenical relief and development agency in Nicaragua.

In the early 1980s, Parajón was a key mediator in ending Nicaragua's civil war
and part of the reconciliation process that followed. Michael Westmoreland-White,
a Baptist blogger and member of Jeff Street Baptist Community at Liberty (a BPFNA
Partner Congregation in Louisville, Ky.), said, "I remember his pleading
with Baptists in the U.S. to stop the Reagan administration policies of support
for the Contra terrorists." Westmoreland-White recalled that many Baptists
chose to support the government position "rather than the testimony of a
brother in Christ. It was disgusting."

Many in the BPFNA network and the broader Baptist family worldwide had worked
with him over the years. Rev. Richard Myers, a retired American Baptist pastor
from Rochester, N.Y. who has been involved recently in health care ministry in
Nicaragua, said, "Over 40 years, Gus's personal courage and Christian heart
confronted both natural disasters and the exploitation of the people and
resources of his country. He knit together communities across theological
lines to form strong networks of compassion. He leaves a lasting legacy. We
loved him and he us."

Doug Donley, pastor of University Baptist Church (a BPFNA Partner Congregation
in Minneapolis, Minn.), said, "This is a devastating loss for the world
peacemaking community. Many of us were lucky enough to call him a close friend.
He was and continues to be a source of inspiration and grounding for my
life and ministry."

Parajón received many honors for his work, including the 1980 Dahlberg Peace
Award from the American Baptist Churches USA and the 2006 Baptist World
Alliance Human Rights Award. He was awarded a Doctor of Humane Letters degree
by Denison University in 1981 and the Sesquicentennial Medallion as an
Outstanding Citizen of Managua during the city's 150th anniversary in 2002.

Since its founding in 1950, the National Council of the Churches of Christ in
the USA has been the leading force for shared ecumenical witness among Christians
in the United States. The NCC's 37 member communions -- from a wide spectrum of
Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, Evangelical, historic African American and
Living Peace churches -- include 45 million persons in more than
100,000 local congregations in communities across the nation.

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office),
646-853-4212 (cell), pjenks@ncccusa.org