Church in Taipei opens after-school care and tutoring class for struggling families in the neighborh

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:14:26 +0800

3080 Edition

March 7~13, 2011

Church Ministry News

Church in Taipei opens after-school care and tutoring class for struggling
families in the neighborhood

Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong

Written by Lydia Ma

“Ma’am, may I eat one?” asked a little Aborigine boy excitedly eyeing the
irresistible freshly baked bread topped with cream cheese before him and fully
taking in its fragrant aroma.

“We must wait for the pastor to come and say a prayer with all of us before we
start,” replied a woman as she gently set down one cup of strawberry milk
before every student.

Just then, Rev. Wang Chi-tsan, pastor of Ankeng Presbyterian Church, walked in
and gently patted the little boy. “OK, little ones, let’s bow our heads in
prayer,” he said to the 8 children gathered before him and they all quieted
down to say grace.

“This after-school care and tutoring class can help financially struggling
families. We care for their children’s safety and monitor their children’s
homework right after school is over early afternoon when parents are still at
work,” explained Wang during an interview.

His church began this ministry recently upon seeing the needs of financially
poor families in its neighborhood, which it had a particular burden to care and
minister. The idea of offering free afterschool tutorials came to mind because
it would lighten struggling families’ financial burdens because parents
wouldn’t have to dole out money to send their children to local cram schools.

Furthermore, such an environment would be better at fostering self-confidence
among children and help them through better grades and help parents to know
Christian churches better.

The church’s administrator Peng Ling-hui happened to be the supervising staff
on-call that day. Not only did she help students with their homework, she also
prepared snacks for them. Though it seemed like an arduous task, she took
everything in stride and with gusto.

When interviewed, Peng underscored that even the most mischievous child can
change for the better if taught and disciplined with love, and such a
transformation also improves a child’s academic performance.

She also emphasized that churches running afterschool programs shouldn’t
overlook their pupils’ grades because it could become a factor for parents to
distrust churches once they start assuming that churches are using such
programs merely to proselyte instead of showing genuine concern.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)