ACNS - No gentle death: memorial service for murdered Christian Pakistan politician

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:54:29 -0700

Posted On : March 18, 2011 11:07 AM | Posted By : Admin ACO
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2011/3/18/ACNS4820
Related Categories: England, Pakistan
No gentle death: memorial service for murdered Christian Pakistan politician
By ACNS staff
Preaching at the memorial service held at St
Margaret?s Church,  Westminster , London , on 17
March 2011 for Shahbaz Bhatti, Pakistan Minister
of Minorities, Bishop Tony Robinson, Chair of the
Archbishop of Canterbury?s Pakistan Focus Group,
reflected, "Death came with the fire of the gun.
There was no gentle death for Shahbaz Bhatti ? as
there is also not for many other Christians who
are suffering as part of the of minority population of Pakistan."

Shahbaz Bhatti, a Roman Catholic Christian who
was part of the Cabinet of the Federal government
of Pakistan was murdered by gunmen in Islamabad on March 2.
The service, held in the presence of the
Archbishop of Canterbury, and the High
Commissioner of Pakistan was a tribute to a
remarkable man who had made a practical
difference for the minority populations in his
country even though his life was cut short at the
age of 42, but also an act of dedication by those
present to seek to continue the tasks he had set himself.
Those present were invited to commit
themselves  to speak out for moderation and
tolerance and to seek liberty when confronted
with oppression.  Candles were lit by all the
congregation from a central memorial candle, as a
visible sign of  people?s determination to keep
alive the flame that Bhatti had lit.
As well as the sermon preached by Bishop
Robinson, tributes to Minister Bhatti were
offered by Alistair Burt MP, Under-Secretary of
State in the United Kingdom Foreign and
Commonwealth Office, Revd Canon Yacub Masih,
Chairman of Pakistan Christian Concern and Bishop
Alexander Malik of Lahore.  All emphasised the
Christian commitment and bravery of Shahbaz
Bhatti in refusing to be silenced in spite of the
threats that were being made against him.
A particularly powerful moment near the beginning
of the service came as part of a recording of an
interview with Minister Bhatti was played in
which he pledged, "Jesus has given me power and
wisdom and motivation to serve suffering
humanity. I follow the principles of my
conscience, and I am ready to die and sacrifice
my life for the principles I believe."
One of the central thrusts of Shahbaz Bhatti?s
work was to seek the amelioration of the
?blasphemy laws? in Pakistan, which are regularly
misused against Christians by individuals with personal grudges.
Concluding the service the Archbishop of
Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams,  led the congregation in  the following pray er:
"God our Father, whose power is shown in
compassion and whose justice gives hope to all
your creation, strengthen with your mercy and
justice all who work for peace and understanding
between nations, between communities of faith,
and between neighbours. May the gift of your
Spirit of truth and peace be poured out
especially upon the people and leaders of
Pakistan, so that fear may be overcome, prejudice
and hatred be taken away, and trust restored.
"We give you thanks for the witness of all who
have risked their lives for reconciliation, and
pray that all who live at risk because of their
faith will know your presence and your blessing,
and be given the courage to seek a place at the
feet of Jesus. May the people of Pakistan be
renewed and revived, an example of just and
loving fellowship in the service of the common
good; and may the suffering Church there and
elsewhere put to flight all the darkness of hatred in human hearts.
All this we ask for the sake of our crucified
Saviour, Jesus Christ, who gave his life so that
all might be reconciled to you in the communion of the Holy Spirit. Amen. ?