Communion responds as Anglicans, Episcopalians seek to give to Japan

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 17:31:02 -0700

Posted On : March 18, 2011 9:07 PM | Posted By : Admin ACO

ACNS: www.anglicancommunion.org

Related Categories: Global  Japan

Communion responds as Anglicans, Episcopalians seek to give to Japan

as pray for the beleaguered nation of Japan,
agencies and Churches of the Communion have been
setting up avenues for giving.
In Japan itself, the Primate and Provincial
officials have set up the ?Tohoku Earthquake
Anglican Church Control HQ? within the Provincial
Office. The lead is the person responsible is the
Provincial Secretary, Revd John Makito Aizawa
(email address general-sec.po@nskk.org) This
office has set up a bank account for anyone
wishing to donate to their emergency fund:
Name of Bank and Branch:          Mitsubishi UFJ Bank, Iidabashi Branch
Account Number:                            4515547
Name of Account:                           Nippon Sei Ko Kai

The Diocese of Tohoku has also set up a Relief
and Rehabilitation Centre headed up by the Bishop
of Tohoku, the Rt Revd John Hiromichi Kato (bishop.tohoku@nskk.org).

In the Diocese of West Malaysia, Bishop Moon Hing
has appealed in a letter for people to contribute
what they can to support anyone affected by this disaster.

"I am appealing for donations for this

disaster..." he said, "Please announce it in your
churches and make collections for this cause.
Since the destruction is not only confined to
Japan, the Pacific Islands as well as Philippines
and Taiwan are affected, I wish to called it 'Japan & Pacific Tsunami Relie f'.

Please send in the donation to the Diocesan

office and make cheque payable to 'DIOCESE OF
WEST MALAYSIA' and at the back of the cheque
designate it to 'Japan & Pacific Tsunami Relief'.
You may send in the cheque to:

Diocese of West Malaysia
16, Jalan Pudu Lama
50200 Kuala Lumpur, West Malaysia

or bank into the diocesan account: Standard

Chartered Bank Account No. 312-100883131 and send
in the bank-in slip stating the purpose.

Thank you. Be imitators of Christ. Shalom.
+Moon Hing"

In the Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui the Primate, the
Most Reverend Paul Kwong, has also launched an appeal.

In Canada, the Primates' World Relief and

Development Fund has announced that it is taking
donations designated for disaster relief in
Japan.  "Donations for relief work will be
forwarded to the Anglican Church of Japan and
partner organizations such as Church World Service," its website says.

The US's Episcopal Relief and Development agency
has set up its Japan Earthquake Response Fund to
"collect donations for emergency relief provided
through local partners in Japan and other areas affected by the disaster."

Already churches in both countries are pointing
their members to these agencies as places they can donate.
In England, alongside agencies such as Christian
Aid and World Vision, USPG is appealing to its supporters for help for Japa n.
Its website states: "NSKK is recruiting
volunteers and setting up a process for providing
emergency relief. Donations made to USPG?s Rapid
Response Fund will help to support this relief
work ? as well as other emergency aid given when disasters strike."
Much of this giving and receiving for Japan will
soon be discussed by Anglican agencies and
Churches on a phone conference arranged by the
Anglican Communion's new Anglican Alliance for
development, relief and advocacy. The call, early
next week, will give those involved in trying to
raise funds and other support an opportunity to
consider together how to best to maximise all their efforts.

Sally Keeble, Anglican Alliance Director, said:
"At present international governments and some
agencies have provided specific support. However,
the Government of Japan has not requested help
from the international humanitarian community,
and so the DEC and others have not issued appeals.

"In bringing together Anglican aid agencies and
looking at the assessments of the church in
Japan, I hope we can ensure that the Anglican
Communion can provide effective  long term
support for our brothers and sisters in Japan.

"People understandably want to help when they see
the devastation in Japan: by ensuring that we
listen to the views of the Church in Japan, and
co-ordinate our support, we can make sure our help is effective."