Editorial: Keep calm and carry on!

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:11:37 +0800

3082 Edition

March 21-27, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: Keep calm and carry on!

Translated by Lydia Ma

On March 11, 2011, a strong earthquake followed by a tsunami devastated
northeastern Japan, sweeping away houses, cars, and almost everything within 4
km of the seashore. Days later, news about leakage of radioactive material from
Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant brought us to our knees and reminded us
of our limitations and powerlessness in face of such devastations.

Nuclear power plants generate 30% of Taiwan’s electricity. To maintain a
sustainable level of development that also protects our environment, we must
consider increasing the use of renewable energy. The threats posed by nuclear
power plants prompted PCT to issue a statement in 1992 that still rings true
today.

That statement states the following: “Humankind and the whole ecological system
are mutually interdependent and co-existent. Therefore, we strongly oppose this
policy of nuclear development which so seriously damages Taiwan's ecology and
environment. We solemnly appeal to all Christians and all members of society,
to honestly face the potential tragedy which any nuclear power station could
bring upon us; we urge everyone to actively participate in the anti-nuclear
movement, and at the same time actively pursue a simple lifestyle, and treasure
the natural resources God has bestowed upon us. Let us spare no effort for the
ongoing welfare of the people and land of Taiwan.”

Japan is a progressive country and the way in which it’s facing this national
disaster is impressive. From alert systems and escape drills set in place
before a disaster of this magnitude took place to professional news coverage
that created an aura of calmness, this nation has much to teach Taiwanese media
and citizens.

Not only has Taiwan’s news networks become untrustworthy in recent years,
they’ve also become instruments for spreading bizarre superstitions and
unhealthy levels of anxiety. Some news anchors and reporters have resorted to
reporting news with such unnecessary drama that what they’ve accomplished in
the end is scaring people instead of informing them.

Some Christians, taken back by these reports, begin to believe them and take
what they’ve seen and heard as signs of an imminent Second Coming and proceed
to scare people into accepting the gospel, creating more anxiety in Taiwanese
society.

However, Jesus said plainly in the Bible that no one knows the exact day and
hour of the Second Coming, not even angels or God the Son. Only God the Father
knows. Jesus reminded his followers to stay calm but watchful, and to always
remain in tune with God regardless of circumstances. He told us to stay
optimistic, comfort suffering people, and be faithful stewards of the earth.

One famous British slogan that emerged from World War II is “keep calm and
carry on”. This slogan was used by the British government to remind its
citizens how to respond to Nazi bombings. In face of the tragedy in Japan, we
would do well to heed this adage at a time when we don’t know the purpose
behind so much suffering. It’s by being calm and collected that we’ll manage to
overcome these hardships.

Despite much heartbreaking news, some heartwarming news are also emerging from
this tragedy. For example, we recently heard that PCT youths are taking
initiative in encouraging Japanese people. They’ve made an internet clip with
children holding a hand-drawn Japanese flag with a smiley face and they’ve held
bazaars to raise money for relief efforts in Japan.

Yes, together, we can overcome this if we KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!

Editor’s note: To view the clip, go to
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150125369364303

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)