Newsline: Church of the Brethren board adopts Strategic Plan

From CoBNews <CoBNews@brethren.org>
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:40:45 -0500

Newsline: Church of the Brethren News Service, News Director Cheryl

Brumbaugh-Cayford, 800-323-8039 ext. 260, cobnews@brethren.org

Church of the Brethren board adopts a Strategic Plan for the decade

(March 24, 2011) Elgin, IL -- A Strategic Plan for denominational

ministry in this decade, 2011-2019, was adopted by the Church of the

Brethren's Mission and Ministry Board at its spring meeting. The

meeting took place March 10-14 at the church's General Offices in Elgin,

Ill. The board used a consensus style of decision making, led by chair

>Dale E. Minnich.

Also on the agenda was a thorough overview of the current financial

situation of denominational ministries, approval of the annual report, and

a number of reports. Reports addressed new church development, work

in Haiti and southern Sudan, a delegation to Israel/Palestine, and the

Christian Churches Together annual meeting that centered on the

continuing problem of racism in US churches, among others.

The board spent an afternoon in private conversation to seek a working

relationship while dealing with controversial issues facing the church,

including the Special Response conversation on matters related to

>sexuality.

>Strategic Plan:

As in its fall meeting last year, the board spent much of its time on a

Strategic Plan. It adopted a final document at this meeting. (Find the

Strategic Plan at
www.brethren.org/site/DocServer/MMB_Strategic_Plan_2011_2019__Approved_.pdf?docID=12261.)
 The plan received verbal accolades from board members,

both in a discussion of the plan by the Executive Committee, and in

>comments in the full board meeting.

"This is a major step for us," said Minnich as he introduced the item of

business. In a slide explaining the process used to arrive at the plan, he

identified its purpose in this way: "Provide a Christ centered focus for

MMB (Mission and Ministry Board) program that fits the gifts and

>dreams of the Brethren."

"I desperately want members of the church engaged with this (plan) and

to see what we're doing," said vice-chair Ben Barlow.

Repeatedly, board and staff leaders emphasized the interrelated nature of

six sets of directional goals and objectives for ministry in the program

areas of "Brethren Voice," church planting, congregational vitality,

international mission, service, and an organizational goal of sustainability.

Each is based in scripture. The objectives were written with help from

small working groups of staff and board liaisons, and in some cases

>advisory groups from the wider church.

Commenting on the objectives for church planting, Congregational Life

Ministries executive Jonathan Shively said, "These objectives only work

when they're paired with the objectives for Brethren Voice and others."

"None of them can stand alone," Barlow said in agreement. He characterized

the goals in their entirety as "envisioning a vital and dynamic church...into

>the future."

At previous meetings the board had approved several sections of the plan

including a preamble prayer, six broad directional goals, and next steps such

as how the plan will be implemented. The organization's vision, mission,

and core values statements (
www.brethren.org/site/DocServer/MMB_Vision_Mission_Core_Values_2009.pdf?docID=5381
 ) are considered foundational understandings.

The objectives for congregational vitality, which in the words of Ministry

Office executive Mary Jo Flory-Steury lay out a vision of what a vibrant and

vital church is, began receiving positive responses even in advance of the

board meeting. Board member Tim Peter already has written about them for

a newsletter, and told the Executive Committee "how this particular

directional goal resonated with people in Northern Plains District.... Yes, this

>is important to us!" he said.

The board spent an afternoon discussing the new objectives, asking questions,

and giving feedback. One point of clarification requested was how the specific

number of 250 new church plants for the decade was decided. Shively

explained that the assumption is not that denominational staff are planting the

churches, but that the denomination's ministry is to support church planters

in the districts. The number of 250 new plants is an achievable objective in

>terms of that support, he said.

"We can't do this on our own power," he added. "This is a spiritual
discipline....

That's the spirit in which that number was imagined and offered." Shively also

told the board that as he meets with district leaders, he is seeing the church

>planting movement "finding its wings."

Members of the finance staff also offered helpful explanations about the

objectives for sustainability--that the goal is to be forward looking, with

objectives designed to sustain the Church of the Brethren's mission into the

future, and not necessarily tied to current program and staffing structures.

"We are not trying to sustain an organization," said LeAnn Wine, assistant

treasurer. "It is about creating sustaining resources for the mission. As the

>mission changes, we need to be flexible."

Two ex-officio board members raised concerns about whether the objectives

give enough prominence to the church's peace witness, and whether an

objective for interfaith relationships ought to be added. Their concerns were

discussed but led to no changes in the Strategic Plan.

Work toward this new Strategic Plan began when the former General Board

and the former Association of Brethren Caregivers merged to become the

Church of the Brethren, Inc. Then, using an "appreciative inquiry" process

focused on identifying strengths of the organization, data was gleaned from a

five-year evaluation of the work of the General Secretary and a survey of

leadership groups in the denomination. Rick Augsburger of the Konterra

Group based in Washington, D.C., served as consultant. A Strategic Planning

Working Group of board members and executive staff guided the effort.

A reading of the plan's Preamble Prayer closed the business sessions of the

board. Brian Messler, a board member from Frederick (Md.) Church of the

Brethren, also shared how he will be bringing ideas from the service

objectives back to his congregation, suggesting that other board members do

>the same.

"The juices are flowing, the Spirit is moving, and praise be to God!" said

>Minnich.

A detailed report of pre-audit financial results from 2010 appears at
www.brethren.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=14270.

A photo album from the meeting is at
www.brethren.org/site/PhotoAlbumUser?view=UserAlbum&AlbumID=14367.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to

continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its faith

in community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith

traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrated its

300th anniversary in 2008. It counts some 123,000 members across the United

States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Nigeria, Brazil,