AJC Condemns Brutal Bus Bombing in Jerusalem

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:12:52 -0400

>AJC Condemns Brutal Bus Bombing in Jerusalem

March 23, 2011 - New York - AJC condemned the bombing of a commuter bus in
Jerusalem. The bomb exploded outside Egged Bus No. 74 near the Binyanei
Ha'uma Conference Center in Israel's capital city. The blast killed one
person, and injured 50.

"Our thoughts are with the innocent Israeli victims of this heinous
terrorist attack, which brings to mind the dreadful spate of suicide
bombings Israel was subjected to following the outbreak of the second
Palestinian intifada in 2001," said AJC Executive Director David Harris.
"Today's bombing also follows a spate of mortar and rocket attacks against
Israel from Gaza in recent days."

Jerusalem police said that an explosive device inside a bag was left at the
bus stop. Israeli Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch said that
the explosive device was between one and two kilograms and packed with
shrapnel.

"We are confident that Israel will remain vigilant against future attacks
and will take whatever measures are necessary to track down the perpetrators
of today's bombing," said Harris.

"The international community needs to offer its full and unambiguous support
as Israel seeks to defend itself against these barbaric acts of aggression
against civilian targets. In particular, world leaders must impress upon the
Palestinians the need to end the incitement against Israel - and
glorification of bombers - which serve to encourage the kind of terrorism we
have witnessed again today."