UCC missionary in devastated Japan pursues silver linings

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:23:06 -0500

UCC missionary in devastated Japan pursues silver linings

Written by Jeff Woodard
March 29, 2011

UCCJ Tohoku Disaster Relief Center - Loading Supplies

It took time to witness through catastrophic ruin and colossal anguish, but at least one United Church of Christ missionary says hope is alive in Japan.

"I am amazed by the grass-roots power that has given birth to the Tohoku Disaster Relief Center," said the Rev. Jeffrey Mensendiek, director of youth ministries at the Emmaus Center and the Sendai Student/Youth Center. The Emmaus Center has essentially been transformed into the relief center.

Sendai, a northern coastal city a two-hour drive north of Tokyo, took a devastating hit March 11 during the 9.0-magnitude and resulting tsunami.

"The earthquake happened on a Friday, and by Sunday three pastors had gathered, each of whom had their own experiences with earthquakes," Mensendiek wrote in an email March 25. "They were quick to call on capable volunteers to gather and set up camp. They called on the local district leadership to include them in the decision making. They included me because I provided the space to start up the relief center."

An estimated 350 miles of coastline have been swept clear by the tsunami.

"Many people will not be able to return to their homes, much less to the coastal area that has proved to be vulnerable to the tsunami," wrote Mensendiek. "It will take years before the families will regain their daily life."

As of March 28, the death toll was nearing 11,000, with more than 16,000 people still missing.

Mensendiek had reported on March 20 the staggering sight that spanned landscapes for untold miles.

"Refrigerators, cars, houses, beds, televisions, telephone poles and trees were strewn out across the land," he wrote. "An elementary school stood strong, but the mark of the tsunami could be seen reaching to the fourth floor."