Episcopal Church offers resources for observing Earth Day 2011 on April 22

From <publicaffairs@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:07:37 -0400

>The Episcopal Church

>Office of Public Affairs

>Episcopal Church offers resources

>for observing Earth Day 2011 on April 22

>This year, Earth Day falls on Good Friday

[March 30, 2011] With Earth Day 2011 on April 22 nearly here, resources are
available for observing and recognizing this annual event.

"This year Earth Day falls within Holy Week, specifically on Good Friday, a
profound co-incidence," noted Mike Schut, Episcopal Church Economic and
Environmental Affairs Officer. "To fully honor Earth Day, we need to reclaim
the theology that knows Earth is 'very good,' is holy. When we fully recognize
that, our actions just may begin to create a more sustainable, compassionate
economy and way of life."

He added, "And on Good Friday, the day we mark the crucifixion of Christ, God
in the flesh, might we suggest that when Earth is degraded, when species go
extinct, that another part of God's body experiences yet another sort of
crucifixion -- that another way of seeing and experiencing God is diminished?"

Earth Day resources are available here:  www.episcopalchurch.org/earthday
<http://mail.dfms.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.episcopalchurch.org/earthday>

>Among the resources are:

National Council of Churches' Earth Day Sunday Resource: The 2011 edition is
titled "Where Two or More are Gathered: Eco-Justice as Community."

http://nccecojustice.org/resources/index.php#earthdaysundayresources
<http://nccecojustice.org/resources/index.php#earthdaysundayresources>

Earth Ministry's Worship Aids: homilies, hymns, prayers, litanies, sample
worship services, etc.

http://earthministry.org/resources/worship-aids
<http://earthministry.org/resources/worship-aids>

The Episcopal Ecological Network's Liturgical Resources: sample creation season
services, litanies, liturgies, service bulletins and related materials.

http://eenonline.org/reflect/liturgy.htm
<http://eenonline.org/reflect/liturgy.htm>

Earth Day Network: educational resources for all ages, including lesson plans
for "green schools" projects.

http://www.earthday.org/education <http://www.earthday.org/education>

GreenFaith's Resource Center: resources related to worship, education and
spiritual practices.

http://greenfaith.org/resource-center/spirit
<http://greenfaith.org/resource-center/spirit>

One Year Anniversary of the Gulf Oil Spill: The Deepwater Horizon disaster
erupted onto the national scene on April 20, 2010. The following resources
connect Earth Day with the spill.

http://afterthespill.com/faith-work-on-the-oil-spill/
<http://afterthespill.com/faith-work-on-the-oil-spill/>

http://urj.org/webinars/archive <http://urj.org/webinars/archive>

http://uuministryforearth.org/2011-ED-GulfCoastSupplement
<http://uuministryforearth.org/2011-ED-GulfCoastSupplement>

For more info contact Schut at mschut@episcopalchurch.org
<mailto:mschut@episcopalchurch.org>

The Episcopal Church welcomes all who worship Jesus Christ in 109 dioceses and
three regional areas in 16 nations.  The Episcopal Church is a member province
of the worldwide Anglican Communion.

The Episcopal Church: www.episcopalchurch.org <http://www.episcopalchurch.org/>

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/episcopalian
<http://www.facebook.com/episcopalian>