UCC - A call to prayer for the pathways to peace

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 12:26:02 -0700

A call to prayer for the pathways to peace

Written by Geoffrey A. Black, UCC general minister and president

May 3, 2011

The news that the United States military has
located and killed Osama bin Laden at his
compound in Pakistan comes as the nation prepares
to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the Sept.
11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center in
New York City, the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.,
and the downing of United Airlines Flight 93 over
southwest Pa. These tragic events left Americans
and people throughout the world in shock and
grieving the senseless loss of life resulting
from this intentional assault planned and carried
out by al-Qaida under the leadership of Osama bin Laden.

From that moment there were those in this

country who felt a need for revenge that could
only be satisfied by bringing bin Laden to
justice, which in the minds of many meant killing
him. As of today, that goal has been achieved.
Yet, while many celebrate this event and feel
that it has provided the nation with a fitting
response to the horrific and brutal attack on
citizens of the United States, there are others
who see no reason to rejoice and instead feel a
deep sense of disquiet and unease.

For the past 10 years we have mourned the loss of
those who perished in the 9/11 attacks. We mourn,
too, the thousands around the world ? Muslims,
Christians, Jews and others ? killed in numerous
indiscriminate attacks by al-Qaida. We have been
made all too aware of the cost of waging the "war
on terror" both in human lives lost in Iraq and
Afghanistan, and the financial toll it has taken
on our country. We lament that our troops often
have returned to lackluster care for the healing
of their physical and emotional wounds. Few, if
any of us, are without a personal story of loss
that connects us to this conflict.

There is no joy in this moment for us, because
first and foremost we understand ourselves to be
the disciples of Jesus. Jesus calls us in his
teachings to do the difficult thing of loving our
enemies and praying for those who persecute us.
If nothing else, Osama bin Laden was an enemy of
the United States and other governments around
the world. His death at the hands of our military
brings his life as an adversary to an end, but it
does not bring us any closer to our ultimate goal
? a just peace, healing of the human spirit and
reconciliation between human beings and with God.
We know that revenge does not lead to healing and
reconciliation. It does not move us any closer to peace.

Our disquiet and unease also grows out of the
realization that the achievement of the military
goal of capturing and/or killing Osama bin Laden
may fuel the next round of violence by his
followers and only encourage others to join the
ranks of al-Qaida or related organizations that share the same violent agen da.

It is likely that the violent death of Osama bin
Laden was inevitable, given that he was engaged
in an ongoing campaign of violence and threatened
violence against the U.S., its allies and leaders
in the Muslim world who in his eyes were enemies
of Islam. With so many organized forces arrayed
against him, it is conceivable that his demise
was but a matter of time, even if that time
period was almost 10 years. However, as those 10
years passed, the U.S. and its allies have been
engaged in two theaters of war in West and
Southern Asia. In that time our nation has
alienated many in Muslim majority nations, and that reality remains.

Yet, we now have an opportunity to pursue

international goals that the United Church of
Christ has long advocated: a troop withdrawal and
end to combat operations in Afghanistan; the
continued hope of a just resolution to the
conflict between Israel and the Palestinians;
engaging in meaningful relationships with people
of other faith communities, including Muslims;
and to use the gained political capital to promote a just peace on many fro nts.

Above all else, it is a moment for prayerful
reflection. Our United Church of Christ Statement
of Faith reminds us that God reconciles the world
to God's self and that God promises courage in
the struggle for justice and peace. For people of
faith committed to seeking peace with justice in
our nation and the world, turning to God in prayer is most appropriate.

Let us engage in prayer that we might have that
kind of courage ? a prayer that includes
listening deeply and patiently for God to guide
our thoughts and actions along the pathways to a
just peace, healing of the human heart and
reconciliation. I believe our prayers will be a
fitting response to the violent death of an
enemy, whose cause still lives as a challenge and a threat.

The Rev. Geoffrey A. Black is the UCC's general
minister and president and a member of its five-person Collegium of Officer s.