CRC Ministries Director Resigns

From Chris Meehan <cmeehan@crcna.org>
Date Thu, 5 May 2011 16:57:41 -0400

>CRC Ministries Director Resigns

May 5, 2011 -- Sandy Johnson, the Director of Denominational Ministries for
the Christian Reformed Church in North America, has resigned from her
position, effective immediately.

Johnson submitted her resignation on May 4 to the executive committee of the
Board of Trustees of the Christian Reformed Church, who received it with
“surprise, much regret, and a tremendous amount of appreciation for the
leadership and ministry Sandy gave to the ministries of the CRC,” said Br uce
Adema, Acting Interim Executive Director of the CRCNA.

The Board is currently meeting in regular session at the CRC offices in
Grand Rapids, MI, and will respond to the resignation as soon as it is able.

In her letter of resignation, Johnson said that she made this decision in
order to allow the Board an opportunity to consider multiple options in
addressing its leadership needs as it moves forward in the wake of the
resignation several weeks ago of its executive director, Jerry Dykstra.

The Board of Trustees expressed deep appreciation for the role Sandy played
as a woman and a pioneer in the top levels of CRCNA leadership, and
reiterated its commitment to diversity in leadership and to the important
contribution of women and unordained persons in leadership.

“Personally, I grieve Sandy's resignation.  I appreciated and respected h er
as a colleague and I will miss her wise contributions and great faith,” s aid
Adema. “I also trust that the Lord will continue to guide us, and provide  in
his time the ministry leadership we need.”

He said that CRCNA staff in North America and around the world will continue
the excellent work and ministry to which they are called, under the overall
direction of the Board of Trustees and of the Ministries Leadership Team

The Board of Trustees appointed Sandy Johnson to be the Director of
Denominational Ministries (DDM) in May 2007. She previously had worked for
13 years in the banking industry, followed by several years as a
self-employed consultant in strategic ministry planning.

As DDM, she was responsible for advancing the unified ministry of the CRC
through strategic planning and coordination of goals of the seven
denominational agencies and institutions.

The position of DDM was created in 2005, when the denomination changed its
senior leadership structure. Prior to that, the two top leaders were the
general secretary and executive director of ministries.

“Please pray for Sandy and her family, for the staff who worked closely w ith
her and who feel pain at her departure, and for the church as its ministries
continue to impact lives and communities worldwide,” said Adema.

For more information, please contact Bruce Adema, Acting Interim Executive
Director, at bruceadema@crcna.org or Henry Hess, Director of Communications,
at 905-978-3166 or hhess@crcna.org.