UMNS Daily Digest - May 6, 2011 (Bin Laden, Mother's Day, Abraham Sellu, bishops, King James Bible)

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 14:00:14 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                            Friday, May 6, 2011
                   [5]Bin Laden's death challenges pastors
              [6]Commentary: the mother who is 'my everything'
                 [7]Abraham Sellu, 64, remembered as leader
              [8]Bishops name interim leader for Nashville Area
                [9]King James Bible sparked many translations
                      [10]Bishops go green, save green

   [11]Change the World Weekend»

   [12]UMTV: Church Adopts Haiti»

   [13]UMTV: Our Family Adoptions»

   [14]UMTV: First-time Volunteer at 91»

   [15]Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [16]Find us on Facebook

   [17]Twitter

   Contact Us
   [18]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

   "I've talked with people who say 'I'm happy about this, but I'm distressed
   in myself that I'm so happy.' It's not knowing what to do with the emotions
   they are feeling." - The Rev. Jason Radmacher, senior pastor, John Street
   United Methodist Church.

Bin Laden's death challenges pastors

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - Within minutes of learning that Osama bin Laden
   was dead, the Rev. Andy James knew he would address the killing in worship
   this Sunday. In the days since, James, pastor of the Tuttle (Okla.) United
   Methodist Church, has struggled with what he will say.

   [19]Read full story and post a comment»

Commentary: The mother who is 'my everything'

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - In recognition of Mother's Day, Bilha Alegría pays
   tribute to her mother, Esperanza, whom she calls "my best friend, my
   counselor, my teacher, my medicine, my inspiration and my everything."

   [20]Read full commentary and post a comment»

Abraham Sellu, 64, remembered as leader

   FREETOWN, Sierra Leone (UMNS) - Abraham Kai Sellu, 64, a former educator and
   United Methodist mission coordinator who served Sierra Leone and East
   Africa, was remembered as a leader and peacemaker during funeral services
   held in April.

   [21]Read full story and post a comment»

Bishops name interim leader for Nashville Area

   ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. (UMNS) - The Council of Bishops unanimously elected
   retired Bishop Ben R. Chamness May 5 as interim bishop of the Nashville
   (Tenn.) Episcopal Area, which encompasses the Memphis and Tennessee annual
   (regional) conferences.

   Chamness will serve from Sept. 1, 2011, to Aug. 31, 2012, when a new bishop
   takes office. He is stepping in for Bishop Richard J. Wills Jr., who is
   retiring a year early because of back problems. Chamness, who was bishop in
   2000-08 of the Central Texas Conference, resides in Huntsville, Texas, but
   will move into the Nashville episcopal residence for a year.

King James Bible sparked many translations

   NEW YORK (UMNS) - The 400th anniversary of the King James Version of the
   Bible is a dramatic reminder of a central theme in the Protestant mission
   movement: the drive to translate Scripture into the everyday languages
   people use.

   In 2011, the Bible or parts of Scripture are available in 2,527 of the
   world's estimated 6,500 languages, including entire Bibles in 469 languages
   and the New Testament in 1,231, according to the United Bible Societies, a
   federation of 145 national groups that do much of the translation today and
   are part of mission history.

   [22]Read full story»

Bishops go green, save green

   ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. (UMNS) - The United Methodist Council of Bishops
   meeting, which concluded May 6, was the first such gathering to be
   paperless. Bishops viewed reports and proposals either on their own
   electronic tablets or laptops or on one of 74 Nooks purchased for this and
   future bishop meetings.

   The estimated cost savings is $4,000 per meeting. "In the corporate exercise
   of our leadership, we have attempted to take advantage of the technology of
   this time," Charlotte (N.C.) Area Bishop Larry M. Goodpaster said in the
   presidential address. "We are taking steps at this meeting to reduce our own
   carbon footprint by attempting to move toward a paperless environment."

   Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy
   [23]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [24]Rethink Church
             [25]TechShop
             [26]EcuFilm
             [27]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [28]Interpreter Magazine
      [29]El' Interprete
      [30]United Methodists In Service
             [31]InfoServ
             [32]Kingswood Communications
   [33]United Methodist News Service
      [34]UM Audio
      [35]UMTV
             [36]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [37]United Methodist Communications International
             [38]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [39]Crisis Communications
                     [40]Communications Training
                     [41]Program Calendars
                     [42]United Methodist Press Center
                     [43]Scholarships
   [44]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and Designated
   Giving
                     [45]United Methodist Productions

       [46]http://umns.umc.org | [47]Privacy Policy | [48]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [49]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [50]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [4523770916.gif]