UCC Lingering recession doesn't deter Ohio church?s endowment campaign

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 12:23:30 -0700

Lingering recession doesn't deter Ohio church?s endowment campaign

Written by Jeff Woodard
May 17, 2011

In the midst of continuing recession, members of
First Congregational UCC in Hudson, Ohio, are
digging deeply ? and diversely ? to contribute to
the church's five-year, $1.2 million endowment campaign.

"Two families in our congregation who wished to
remain anonymous presented us with a challenge
grant of $600,000 to be put toward the Building
Preservation Endowment Fund," said Sue Wimer, the
church's director of stewardship and development, as well as a 20-year memb er.
"But it's been a broad spectrum of about 80
donors from the congregation. Some were gifts of
$200, all the way up to $50,000."

Newer faces, longtime members, younger

congregants and those representing a variety of
income levels are coming together to match the
$600,000 and support a UCC church in a historic community, said Wimer.

"It's definitely not just a few families who have
the means," she said. "It has been a very diverse
group of people. It has reached everybody, which
is great. We actually had a younger couple, some
of our newest members, give a pledge."

The church, with a membership of about 1,200, has
facilities that include its original 150-year-old
sanctuary structure and a 10-year old building
housing Sunday school space, staff offices, a
kitchen and a fellowship hall. "There are
constant capital improvements that need to be
done," said Wimer, adding that a proactive
approach that will give the church access to
funds on a yearly basis for improvements. "That is a true gift," she said.

The five-year endowment for the 210-year-old
church makes available approximately $60,000 a year for capital improvement s.

"Through coaching from Don Hill, minister and
team leader of the UCC's Financial Development
office, and Don Molten, a member of the church's
endowment board, we visited people who were
either very instrumental in contributing money to
the newer building 10 to 15 years ago, or in
being present, on site, or in other ways," said
Wimer. "We learned a lot about people's passion
and their history with the church, their
longevity with the church and why the church is
so important to them. It was a very good thing to do."

Once pledges and gifts were secured from about 10
families ? primarily those instrumental in making
the newer building a reality, said Wimer ?
pledges were then opened up to the congregation.
"We knew that we were at about $200,000, so then
we opened it up. We needed momentum."

Wimer said an endowment newsletter focusing on
the physical building engaged church members.
"The cover contains photographs of what we call
the nooks and crannies ? places in the church
that nobody gets to; up to the bell tower to see
what the bell looks like; the cubbyholes up in
the attic; places that you just don't see; and we
labeled them all. That was intriguing for people.

"We also had quotes from people ? both newer
members and lifelong members ? who see the value
of maintaining a historical structure and
maintaining the [newer] building, and why it's
important. We had personal testimony as well."

Former trustees board chairpersons were asked to
sign on to a letter encouraging all past board
members to support the campaign, said Wimer,
"because they are the ones who see the need and
are dealing with a lack of funding. Our trustees
board oversees a building and grounds board.
Having this endowment will allow the board to
proceed with projects and needs that have been on hold for lack of funding."

During a recent church service, trustees board
member Rick Knapper gave an intercession of
faith, stressing the importance of the church as
a building, said Wimer. "He talked about the
history behind it and the legacy given to us by
those who built the church during the Civil War,
and the sacrifice that was made by those
congregants during this difficult time.

"Presenting that historical piece in a visual
way, for me anyway, inspires me and makes me feel
more grateful toward those who found it important
to build the sanctuary when they did," said Wimer.