Parliament of World Religions - Cultivating Peace from the Inside Out

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 10:41:26 -0700

URI: Cultivating Peace from the Inside Out

by Rev. Charles P. Gibbs, Executive Director, United Religions Initiative

At the 2009 Parliament of the World?s Religions
in Melbourne, Australia, I had lunch with Dadi
Janki, the senior leader of the Brahma Kumaris,
who had been an inspirational friend for fourteen
years. Dadi told me the story of a queen who lost
a precious necklace and sent people to the
farthest reaches of her kingdom to search for it.
The search continued unsuccessfully until the day
one person went up to the queen and pointed out
that the necklace wasn?t lost, but was around her neck.

?That?s the way it is with peace,? Dadi said. ?We
spend so much time looking here and there for
peace when it is inside us all the time, waiting
to be discovered and cultivated.?

<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de
1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=bf615e7133&e=b62c4ed567>Click
here to read the full article...

----------

Do We Have To Pray Together?
by Rabbi Michael Balinsky

?Do we have to pray together??

I asked this to Dirk Ficca just before my first
board meeting as a new trustee of the Council for
a Parliament of the World?s Religions. I was
relieved with his response: Members of the CPWR
do not pray together, in order to recognize the
differences that exist between our traditions.

As an Orthodox rabbi, I am part of a tradition
that has been wary of inter-religious dialogue.
For some, the tension historically has been one
of suspicion about the motives of those who
sought dialogue­and the lurking question if it
may simply be a subterfuge for proselytizing.

Perhaps as significantly, however, has been the
concern that in the search for common ground, we
might dilute the theological uniqueness of each
of our individual communities. That we might
ignore the specific ways a community views its sacred traditions and texts.

<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de1
064a5171ce87bc0e&id=657d7332c1&e=b62c4ed567>Read
More...

Sikh Teachings for Mother's Day
by Ranbir S. Sandhu

Mother's Day, which started as a meeting of

grieving mothers of the Civil War, has now become
a celebration of the role of mothers in our
society.
<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de1
064a5171ce87bc0e&id=821955d671&e=b62c4ed567>Read
More...

----------

To My Mother
by Akbar Ahmed

When I walk at night alone
in the deep wadis of her sobs
or when I know that each time I drive fast
or laze the reply to her letters;
<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de
1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=8cb7094d5d&e=b62c4ed567>Read
More...

----------

Celebrate Mother's Day ... Biblically
by Brad Hirschfield

Children may ask why if there is a Mother's Day
and a Father's Day, is there no Children's
Day.
<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de
1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=4bdd33692b&e=b62c4ed567>Read
More...

----------

Egyptian Revolution Webinar

Ahmed Rehab

June 8, 2011
10:00am U.S. Central Time

Ahmed Rehab
Executive Director
Council on American-Islamic Relations

The Egyptian Revolution saw one of the largest
and most comprehensive peaceful revolutions in
history. 12 million people took to the streets in
a period of 18 days to oust a 30 year autocratic
president and a 60 year entrenched regime. Ahmed
Rehab who participated in the Tahrir Square
movement shares his first-hand account.
<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de
1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=0f5bc3d4f7&e=b62c4ed567>Learn
More...

Did you miss the previous webinar?

<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de
1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=784316b3c0&e=b62c4ed567>Click
here to watch the video archive of
<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de
1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=784316b3c0&e=b62c4ed567>Greening
Your Religious Community

----------

Latest from
State of Formation
Voices of Emerging Leaders

<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15d4f7de1
064a5171ce87bc0e&id=e3f7a385e0&e=b62c4ed567>A
Reflection on Islamophobia
by Kelly Figueroa-Ray

<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15d4f7d
e1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=26d0bd4480&e=b62c4ed567>A
Time of Emergence: Riá¸?ván 1863 and 2011
by Ben Schewel

<http://parliamentofreligions.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15d4f7d
e1064a5171ce87bc0e&id=b460cb1fbd&e=b62c4ed567>On
Empowering Women through Art in South Sudan
by Honna Eichler

The Power of Connection...

The Council for a Parliament of the World's

Religions brings together people from diverse
traditions and perspectives to work together for
a more just, peaceful and sustainable world.

Our work would not be possible without the support of people like you.

Please consider a gift to the Council today to support this crucial work.

Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions
70 East Lake Street, Suite 205
Chicago, Illinois 60601 USA
Tel: + 1 312.629.2990
Fax: + 1 312.629.2991