UMNS Daily Digest - May 18, 2011 (Second Coming, Judgment Day, Japan, UMCOR, Africa, Imagine No Mala

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 16:04:32 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                          Wednesday, May 18, 2011
                             [5]Is the end near?
                     [6]Saving souls and bodies in Africa
              [7]Ohio church: Being the hands and feet of Christ
               [8]Sheryl Crow helps at United Methodist garden

   [9]Interpreter Magazine»

   [10]Imagine No Malaria»

   [11]UMTV: Mentoring and Ministry»

   [12]Change the World»

   [13]Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [14]Find us on Facebook

   [15]Twitter

   Contact Us
   [16]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

   "We believe that Christ is risen and Christ will come again. We're called in
   this time in between to be faithful to God's word and build communities of
   hope and healing. The end will come when it comes in God's time, not ours."
   -- The Rev. Schuyler Rhodes, a pastor in San Francisco.

Is the end near?

   SAN FRANCISCO (UMNS) -- Many people are using the prediction that May 21 is
   Judgment Day as an excuse to party and put R.E.M.'s 1987 hit "It's the End
   of the World as We Know It" on repeat. Still, end-times predictions are
   generally no laughing matter, say scholars and church leaders. When it's not
   the end of the world as we know it, people often don't feel fine.

   [17]Read full story and post a comment»

Saving souls and bodies in Africa

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) -- When United Methodist Bishop Thomas Bickerton
   preached at a Sierra Leone church, 75 of the 700 worshippers brought along
   empty mosquito bed-net bags from a distribution that took place the day
   before. Bickerton gave an update on the effort to eliminate malaria in
   Africa to the Connectional Table.

   [18]Read full story and post a comment»

Ohio church: Being the hands and feet of Christ

   MENTOR, Ohio (UMNS) -- On Change the World Weekend, members of Mentor United
   Methodist Church planted azaleas in a nursing home, cleaned a thoroughfare,
   cooked for homeless folks, signed up for a Volunteers in Mission trip and
   led a Zumba dance class.

   [19]Read full story»

Sheryl Crow helps at United Methodist garden

   OMAHA, Neb. (UMNS) -- Grammy winner Sheryl Crow lent a hand at one of the
   United Methodist Big Garden sites on May 12. Crow was in town to perform a
   concert that evening. The environmentally minded artist helped kids from
   Camp Fire USA plant vegetables and flowers.

   "We are renters of the planet, and my mother taught me you leave a
   campground nicer than you found it. That's my philosophy about the planet,"
   Crow said.

   Established in 2005 through a Community Food Project grant from the USDA,
   the Big Garden seeks to teach residents how to grow nutritious food,
   encourage healthy eating habits and physical activity through the creation
   of urban and rural community gardens. There are currently 29 garden sites
   throughout the metro-Omaha area as well as a sister project, the [20]Big
   Rural Garden in Southeast Nebraska.

   Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy
   [21]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [22]Rethink Church
             [23]TechShop
             [24]EcuFilm
             [25]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [26]Interpreter Magazine
      [27]El' Interprete
      [28]United Methodists In Service
             [29]InfoServ
             [30]Kingswood Communications
   [31]United Methodist News Service
      [32]UM Audio
      [33]UMTV
             [34]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [35]United Methodist Communications International
             [36]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [37]Crisis Communications
                     [38]Communications Training
                     [39]Program Calendars
                     [40]United Methodist Press Center
                     [41]Scholarships
   [42]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and Designated
   Giving
                     [43]United Methodist Productions

       [44]http://umns.umc.org | [45]Privacy Policy | [46]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [47]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [48]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [4561581959.gif]