AJC Applauds Obama Administration Action on Fuel Efficient Federal Fleets

From Ari Gordon <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 14:19:28 -0400

AJC Applauds Obama Administration Action on Fuel Efficient Federal Fleets

May 25, 2011 - New York -- AJC today applauded President Obama's action
implementing significant fuel efficiency measures for all federal fleets.

"President Obama has taken an important step toward reaching his goal to reduce
oil imports by one-third by 2025 and pave the way for one million advanced
fuel-efficient vehicles to be on the road by 2015," said Richard Foltin, AJC
director of National and Legislative Affairs.

A presidential memorandum issued yesterday mandates that all new light duty
vehicles leased or purchased by federal agencies must be alternative fueled
vehicles, such as hybrid or electric, compressed natural gas, or biofuel
(including flex-fuel vehicles), and be designed to achieve maximum fuel
efficiency.

"Sharply reducing America's dependence on foreign oil is essential to our
national security, as well as the economic and social well being of our
country, our environmental health and the continuance of our broad role in
world affairs," said Foltin.

"Mandating fuel-efficiency standards and flexible-fuel technology in federal
fleets, along with the other actions taken by the President yesterday, are a
crucial part of reducing that dependence."