Boston's Common Cathedral featured in video of healthy Episcopal congregational practices

From <publicaffairs@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 15:37:53 -0400

>The Episcopal Church

>Office of Public Affairs

Boston's Common Cathedral featured in fifth video

of healthy Episcopal congregational practices

>Transforming Churches, Changing the World

[May 31, 2011] Boston's Common Cathedral doesn't have walls or stained
glass windows, but the vistas that it provides are unparalleled.

"Common Cathedral is name of the Ecclesia ministries' worshipping
community, which is primarily a ministry among the homeless in Boston
Common," explained the Rev. Bob Honeychurch, Episcopal Church Officer
for Congregational Vitality. "It was founded in 1995 in response to the
pressing need to provide services to the homeless in downtown Boston."

Common Cathedral, in the Diocese of Massachusetts, is the focus of the
final of five videos in the groundbreaking series, Transforming
Churches, Changing the World. Produced by the Episcopal Church Office of
Communication, the video is available on the home page of the Episcopal
Church website www.episcopalchurch.org <http://www.episcopalchurch.org/
, the Congregational Vitality page www.episcopalchurch.org/vitality
<http://www.episcopalchurch.org/vitality> and on the Church's Facebook
page  www.facebook.com/episcopalian

Familiar sites of historic Boston are juxtaposed with images of homeless
gathered against the cold to celebrate Eucharist. "We are the church
outside," the Rev. Kathy McAdams explains in the video. "We are here in
solidarity with people who can't or won't come inside."

Honeychurch stated: "There are so many congregations across the church
that struggle on how to connect with their community.  Here, Common
Cathedral IS the wider community.  There is a sense of groundedness in
the immediate community, and that is something that many churches can
learn. Common Cathedral is the least traditional of the churches in the
Transforming Churches, Changing the World series, but they are the most
intentionally present in their local community."

>Transforming Churches, Changing the World

The purpose of the Transforming Churches, Changing the World video
project is to present identifying characteristics of healthy churches
with a focus on ministry and outreach.

Previous videos of Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA (Diocese of
Pennsylvania), Trinity Cathedral, Phoenix AZ (Diocese of Arizona), St
Paul & the Redeemer, Chicago, IL (Diocese of Chicago), and St. Jude
Wantagh, NY (Diocese of Long Island) are available here:
www.episcopalchurch.org/vitality

>On the web:

Boston's Common Cathedral featured in fifth video of healthy Episcopal
congregational practices

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/newsline_128544_ENG_HTM.htm
<http://www.episcopalchurch.org/newsline_128544_ENG_HTM.htm>

Common Cathedral:  www.ecclesia-ministries.org/common_cathedral.html