ACNS - 16 arrested as persecution of Anglicans in Zimbabwe continues

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:56:31 -0700

Posted On : June 2, 2011 11:29 AM | Posted By : Admin ACO
ACNS:
<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2011/6/2/ACNS4876>http://ww
w.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2011/6/2/ACNS4876

Related Categories:

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/Zimbabwe>Zimbabwe

16 arrested as persecution of Anglicans in Zimbabwe continues

By Mike Brooks, USPG

Sixteen church-goers have been arrested and

priests have been turned out of their homes in
Zimbabwe?s Diocese of Harare ? where the Anglican
Church is facing persecution at the hands of an ex-communicated bishop.

The Rt Revd Chad Gandiya, Bishop of Harare, said
the arrests were illegal and that those detained
? including a elderly woman ? were traumatised.

The diocese is now trying to arrange bail and has
asked for prayers for those in prison and their families.

Bishop Chad, a USPG Regional Manager until 2010,
said: ?I am really concerned about this. We shall
be running around to try and bail the whole group
out today, if the police will listen.?

The Anglican Church in Harare is under attack
from an ex-communicated bishop, Dr Norbert
Kunonga, a supporter of President Mugabe, who
left the Anglican Province of Central Africa
(CPCA) in 2007 to try and set up a rival church.

Kunonga, with the support of police and henchmen,
has seized CPCA church property and used violence to break up church servic es.

USPG Chief Executive Janette O?Neill said: ?We
are deeply concerned at the increased level of
threat and harassment being levelled at faithful
members and clergy of the Anglican Church ?
especially by the forces of the state that should
be there to protect and serve the people.

?We will support Bishop Chad through prayer,
advocacy and practical means as he upholds both
human rights and the legal right of the Anglican
to minister to its communities. He is their
champion and cannot submit to these threats and
actions resulting from the illegitimate claims of Mr Kunonga.?

A week of attacks started last Sunday

A series of incidents started on Sunday with
representatives of Kunonga attempting to take
possession of two priest?s houses. In both cases,
the police took the side of Kunonga.

Matters escalated last night when another attempt
was made by Kunonga?s men to evict Fr Julius Zimbudzana from his home.

This time, members of Fr Julius?s church

apprehend the attacker and took him to the local police station.

However, later in the evening, the police came to
Fr Julius?s house to arrest 16 people ? including
priests and three women, one of them Fr Julius?s elderly mother.

It is thought that Fr Julius came under attack
after he protested against the eviction of his
fellow priests earlier in the week.

Bishop Chad said: ?Please pray for our registrars
as they try to sort out their bail. Pray for
those arrested. Pray especially for the families
of all who were arrested last night. They are
greatly traumatised by all this. I am told by
some of my priests about their children who are
affected and are worried about their fathers.
Please continue to pray for us as a diocese.?

FULL STATEMENT ISSUED BY BISHOP CHAD TODAY (2.6.11):

Alarming developments are unfolding in our beloved diocese.

Last Sunday, a Kunonga priest forced himself into
the house of our priest (the Revd Muzanenhamo) at
Mubayira, in Mhondoro, while he was on
trekk-taking services [visiting a rural parish].
The Revd Muzanenhamo was informed, came back
immediately and pushed Kunonga?s priest out of
the house. The police came and instead of
arresting the intruder they arrested our priest
and charged him with assault. He spent the night
in cells and we had to bail him out.

That same evening, our newly ordained deacon was
evicted from the church house by Kunonga?s
people. Police were called and they sided with those evicting our deacon.

In both cases there were no eviction orders, as
required by the laws of the land.

Then, last night [Wednesday 1 June], when we were
holding a Harare church wardens meeting, we were
informed that Kunonga?s people were breaking into
the house of the Revd Julius Zimbudzana.

Some of our people went there to try and stop
both the break in and forced eviction. When they
got there they managed to apprehend one of the
thugs and the others ran away. They took the thug
to the police station and this time the police
arrested him. They went back to the rectory to be
with the priest and to comfort him and his family.

They were surprised that riot police (the black
boots) came, rounded everyone up and took them to
Highlands Police Station, where they are detained
as I write this email. In all they have arrested
16 people, including priests and three ladies,
one of who is Fr Julius Zimbudzana?s mother. I am
still to get the names of all who were arrested.

When Fr Julius tried to give a report to the
police station on Monday concerning the eviction
of our deacon I am told the police refused to
open a docket, which in turn means the incident never happened.

I am really concerned about this.

We shall be running around to try and bail the
whole group out today, if the police will listen.

Please pray for our registrars as they try to
sort out their bail. Pray for those arrested.
Pray especially for the families of all who were
arrested last night. They are greatly traumatised
by all this. I am told by some of my priests
about their children who are affected and are
worried about their fathers. Please continue to pray for us as a diocese.

Mike Brooks

Communications Manager, USPG: Anglicans in World Mission
Direct line: 020 7921 2224