Park Avenue Christian Church dually aligns with UCC

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:54:34 -0700

Park Avenue Christian Church dually aligns with UCC

Written by Jeff Woodard
June 7, 2011

A symbolic culmination of its long history of affiliation and cooperation with the United Church of Christ, the 400-member Park Avenue Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in New York City has dually aligned with the UCC.

"Park Avenue is the first church of its size to be dually aligned with the Disciples," says the Rev. Rita Root, UCC New York Conference Interim Minister. "For this to happen in New York City and to have it be the historic Park Avenue - it's really exciting."

The congregation's decision was announced May 7 at the New York Metropolitan Association spring meeting.

"It's especially exciting for it to be Park Avenue because of its historic commitment to justice, as well as its history within New York City," adds Root.

Root says she is hopeful that the alignment will serve as a pilot that will be implemented in other geographic areas. "In the western part of our Conference, we have the Western Region, where all UCC and DOC churches are in covenant together. We are very committed to ecumenical work and being a ministry with our denomination partners."

The Rev. Alvin Jackson, senior pastor at Park Avenue for the past five years, said, "It's a little unique for a church to seek a secondary affiliation after having a long tradition in one denomination. Our church brings 200 years of history into this new alignment, and we are looking forward to more of the same from other churches."

Jackson cited Park Avenue's long working relationship with the UCC's Broadway, Riverside and Judson Memorial Churches in New York City as being a key to the new alignment.

"And we have conversations going with number of other Disciples pastors and leaders in the area," adds Jackson. "We are facilitating conversations in hopes of further alignment."

Dual alignment is more common, says Root, in the upstate region of the New York Conference. "We have a number of dual alignments where we have smaller churches," she says. "When you're in a small community, it just makes sense. It's not uncommon for us to have alignments of UCC/Disciples, UCC/Baptists or UCC/Methodists."

One notable exception to that rule is the larger, historic Riverside Church, which is also aligned with the Baptists in New York City.

A tangible sign of Park Avenue's affinity for the UCC was its decision to purchase both the DOC Chalice Hymnal and the UCC New Century Hymnal for worship. In addition, both DOC and UCC symbols are on the masthead of Park Avenue's web site.

While just now coming to fruition, the alignment first came under consideration by Park Avenue in the 1990s. The Rev. John Wade Payne, then senior pastor at Park Avenue, served on the Ecumenical Partnership Committee (UCC/DOC). Church elders met with UCC officials to explore dual alignment during a time when Park Avenue was actively marginalized by other DOC churches in the region in response to the church's ordaining openly gay candidates for ministry.

For more information about Park Avenue Christian Church, please visit <parkavenuechristian.com>.