AJC Urges Yale to Reconsider Decision to Terminate YIISA

From Ari Gordon <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:39:25 -0400

AJC Urges Yale to Reconsider Decision to Terminate YIISA

June 7, 2011 - New York - AJC is surprised and saddened and by the decision of
Yale University to close one of its premier projects, the Yale Initiative for
the Interdisciplinary Study of Anti-Semitism (YIISA). The pending closure of
the five-year-old institute was reported in The New York Post.

"We hope Yale will review this unfortunate decision so that YIISA's critical
work can continue," said AJC Executive Director David Harris. "In our
experience working with YIISA, AJC has been impressed by the level of scholarly
discourse, the involvement of key faculty, and the initiative's ability,
through conferences and other programs, to bring a wide range of voices to the
Yale campus."

Harris added that YIISA has been an important resource for understanding
anti-Semitism, especially in its contemporary manifestations. "YIISA has made
considerable contributions to the study of this immense contemporary challenge
and lent Yale's considerable reputation to an issue that remains quite
serious," he said.

"If Yale now leaves the field, it will create a very regrettable void,"
concluded Harris.