Editorial: Discerning the work of the Holy Spirit

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:31:44 +0800

3093 Edition

June 6-12, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: Discerning the work of the Holy Spirit

Translated by Lydia Ma

According to John Calvin’s Institutes of the Christian Religion, the Holy
Spirit is omnipresent, uncontainable, and gives life to all of creation, and is
truly the Spirit of God. In other words, the Holy Spirit’s presence is not
limited to special church services, but can be sensed in all of creation since
the beginning of creation.

However, many Christians mistakenly think of the work of the Holy Spirit only
as an intimate experience during a worship session, and fail to see the Holy
Spirit also at work in the ecumenical world in the renewing of faith and
justice movements. They also fail to sense the Holy Spirit’s call to them to
take part in these movements.

The work of the Holy Spirit is intricately related to the will of God, as the
Prophet Micah once said, “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what
does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk
humbly with your God. “(Micah 6:8). From this passage, we see clearly that
justice, mercy, and humility are all works of the Holy Spirit.

As Christians living in Taiwan, we must seriously ask ourselves whether we are
narrowing the work of the Holy Spirit and whether we are becoming disinterested
in justice and public issues. For example, we cannot avoid addressing climate
justice when governments seek to become economic powerhouses at any cost to the
environment. We’ve seen this happen many times in Taiwan – from plans to build
Kuokuang Petrochemical Plant to the razing of rice paddies in Dapu, Miaoli, we
simply cannot remain idle any longer and allow God’s creation – our beautiful
Taiwan – be trampled and abused by human greed and ignorance.

Likewise, we cannot ignore issues such as “fair taxation”, “economic justice”
and growing income disparity and unequal resource allocation in our country
today. According to 2008 government records, the richest 5% in Taiwan had 66
times more wealth than the poorest 5%, and this figure rose to 75 times by 2009.

With these trends in mind, we must reflect on these issues during Pentecost to
avoid compartmentalizing the work of the Holy Spirit and to discover the Holy
Spirit’s work in advancing justice in this world. We pray that the Holy Spirit
will renew us and open our eyes so that we may become more aware of justice
issues. After all, having a growing awareness and sensitivity to justice issues
around us is what Jesus meant when he taught us to pray, “Your kingdom come,
your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)