AJC Briefing: Jerusalem Prognosis

From Ari Gordon <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:13:52 -0400

>AJC Briefing: Jerusalem Prognosis

>By Ed Rettig, Director, AJC Jerusalem

>June 13, 2011

The Israeli Knesset designated Jerusalem Day as a national holiday in 1968. It
falls on the 28th day of the Hebrew month of Iyar, the anniversary of the day
the State of Israel proclaimed the reunification of the city in 1967. This year
the Hebrew date fell on June 1. The occasion calls for some reflections on the
state of the city.

Many write and speak about Jerusalem as a "cause." The Arabs call the city Al
Quds (the sacred), and Palestinians see it as the capital of the future
Palestinian State. For Israel, though, it is self-evidently the capital of the
Jewish State, much as it has been the lost capital of the Jewish people through
much of their history. Indeed, the very name of the Jewish movement for
national liberation that produced Israel is "Zionism." "Zion," the name of a
hill in Jerusalem, is used to connote the entire city.

Yet, in our passionate discussion of the cause of Jerusalem we tend to lose
sight of the people who live there. As we ponder the city's political future we
do well to consider the Jerusalemites, those most directly engaged in that
future. Jerusalem is home to about three quarters of a million people, most
with large families, low incomes, and, unless things change drastically,
relatively poor economic prospects.

Read more at:

http://www.ajc.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=ijITI2PHKoG&b=2818295&ct=10875921&notoc=1