Editorial: God's faithful steward cares for the environment

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:00:18 +0800

3092 Edition

May 30~June 5, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: God's faithful steward cares for the environment

Translated by Lydia Ma

A flood followed by a landslide took the lives of 35 people in Thailand this
March and washed away farmlands. On the other side of the globe in southern
United States, 362 tornado strikes – the highest in US recorded history for a
3-day period – were sighted between April 25-28, 2011, which led to 520
casualties.

We’ve been informed recently of severe drought and water shortages in Chinese
provinces downstream of the Yangtze River, which has affected more than 4.2
million people who are now without potable water. We’ve also heard that
environmentalists in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia are alarmed that the
water level of the Mekong River is at its lowest in 50 years, most likely
because of 11 dams built by China in the river’s upstream to generate
electricity.

Along with other Asian countries, Taiwan has also had its share of
environmental problems and concerns recently. Earlier in the year, the
government raised an alarm that low levels of precipitation in recent months
was emptying reservoirs and the country might have to ration its water supply
if this drought continued. Luckily, Taiwanese dodged the bullet when rainy
season finally came in mid-May and parts of Taiwan got some rain.

Unfortunately, the examples listed above are merely the tip of the iceberg we
call “global warming”, which is also affecting many countries in the Pacific
and making Pacific Islanders “climate refugees”.

From these examples we can all see that climate change is not an arcane subject
for scientific debate or a set of shifting government policies, but rather a
devastating and immediate reality that can ravish us all and threaten the very
existence of whole nations.

From Genesis' account of the world's creation, we know God originally created a
beautiful world for us to inhabit and govern. But sin, avarice, and abuse by
humans brought catastrophic consequences on the whole of creation.

During the 44th PCT General Assembly Annual Meeting in 1997, the church voted
to make the first Sunday of June "Environment Sunday" and remind all churches,
pastors, and congregations on that day to be good stewards of God's creation.

Though many churches have done a great job in raising awareness and caring for
the environment, it’s still insufficient because mere awareness won’t go far.
We must change our consumption patterns and lifestyles besides merely
conserving energy. We mustn’t rule out lobbying governments to save energy,
exert pressure on corporations that pollute our environment, and pursue
renewable energy.

Dennis Smith, President of World Association of Christian Communicators, once
said, “One of the greatest strengths that we bring to this struggle to save the
environment as followers of Jesus is that we believe that all truth, all
beauty, all justice flows from the One Creator. And so, this not only beckons
us to encourage one another to care for the environment, but also frees us to
build alliances with all people of good will to raise awareness together and
seek to build the common good.”

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)