Editorial: Church–Youths = Lifeless,

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:16:25 +0800

3087 Edition

April 25-May 1, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: Church – Youths = Lifeless,

Translated by Lydia Ma

An Indian film recently made headlines when it became one of the highest
grossing foreign films in Taiwan. 3 Idiots chronicles the life of three Indian
undergraduates as they take on their country’s education system, value system,
and popular culture that are so twisted they only value the superficial rather
than the essential.

Ranchoddan (also known as Rancho) is one of the protagonists in this movie and
he’s a talented student who often likes to challenges those in authority. For
example, one scene in the movie shows his Mechanics professor asking the class
for the accurate definition of “machine”.

Rancho raises his hand and says, “Anything that can make tasks simpler and less
time-consuming is by definition a machine.” He then starts playing with his
pants’ zipper as if to make a point and adds, “This zipper could be a sort of
machine.”

Rancho’s answer predictably infuriates his professor who considers his answer
baloney and expels him from the class. Another student then manages to recite
the “textbook answer” and earns an approving nod from the professor.

Many Christians today would probably find this scene familiar… within their own
churches. Some people love to spew out one church law after another during
discussion meetings, yet what they actually succeed in accomplishing is killing
the spirit of the law. Such people seem more familiar with PCT church laws than
the Bible sometimes.

Though knowing church laws is good, insistence with the letter of the law
sometimes actually dampens growth of churches or fellow church members – the
original intent of such laws. Such laws were also created to facilitate
missions and faith confessions and outreach ministries, but sometimes during
General Assembly meetings, they can become tools to beat one another.

On May 1, 2011, barely one week after this year’s General Assembly Annual
Meeting, PCT churches commemorated Youth Ministries Sunday and reviewed the
important role youths played in the summer of 1948 in the formation of an
united PCT General Assembly. Those youths, much like Ranchoddan, were youths
with passion, vision, and faith. Without their insistence and courage, there’d
be no General Assembly today.

Watching the movie 3 Idiots, I cannot help but wonder if the church has similar
problems. Has the church become rigid and inflexible and stuck in old patterns?
As a church, we need to give youths space so they can think on their own, speak
freely about their thoughts, and feel welcome in our churches. Without the
presence of youths – some of whom church elders would consider completely
“weird” people – our churches risk losing much influence and vitality.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)