Social and church groups concerned for future of Taiwanese as mother language

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:16:38 +0800

3094 Edition

June 13~19, 2011

General Assembly News

Social and church groups concerned for future of Taiwanese as mother language

Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong

Written by Lydia Ma

Since 2000, UNESCO has stressed the importance of keeping mother languages
alive and it has set February 21 as “International Mother Language Day”. The
purpose for such a day is to remind the world that some minority languages are
at risk and need to be preserved, and to promote cultural diversity and
multilingualism.

Sadly, the Taiwanese government is not on the same page when it comes to
promoting multilingualism and continues to elevate Mandarin at the expense of
Taiwanese and other native languages in its education system.

“Taiwanese language education is my right” Alliance convener Wi-vun Taiffalo
Chiung said that according to the current Ministry of Education curriculum for
elementary schools, students must take at least 17~24 periods of Mandarin,
12~16 periods of English, but only 1 period of Taiwanese per week. To add
insult to injury, Taiwanese classes are not even graded.

For these reasons, the alliance protested in the front steps of the Ministry of
Education (MOE) on June 13, 2011, and demanded the MOE respect the rights of
Taiwanese to be educated in Taiwanese.

PCT Taiwan Ethnic Languages Committee Chairwoman Tan Hong-hui took part in this
protest on behalf of PCT. She said that PCT local churches combined use more
than 20 languages every Sunday to worship God and the PCT is determined to
protect all Taiwanese mother languages and stay rooted in this land with all
its inhabitants. She added that Christian doctrine and theology would agree
with such a position.

“If we don’t stand up and speak out, will our language still exist 20 or 50
years from now?”, Tan asked, urging the Ma administration to give this right
back to the people and normalize Taiwan’s education system.

This is not the first time the alliance has appealed to the government on the
matter of increasing the number of hours mother languages are taught in public
schools.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)