UMNS Daily Digest - June 16, 2011 (Father’s Day, Africa University, Arun Gandhi, Nigeria, Board of G

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:31:54 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                          Thursday, June 16, 2011
                   [5]It takes someone special to be a dad
               [6]Gandhi urges graduates to ‘transform Africa’
               [7]Nigerian United Methodists caught in violence
                [8]Church trial of lesbian elder set to begin
                  [9]United Methodist Men leader helps Japan
                [10]Peace with Justice Sunday set for June 19

   [11]
   UMTV: Finding Father Figures»

      [12]
   UMTV: Volunteers Adopt Hospice Pets»

   [13]
   Annual Conference coverage»

   [14]
   Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [15]
   Japan Earthquake and Tsunami»

   [16]Find us on Facebook

   [17]Twitter

   Contact Us
   E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

   “What I remember most, though, is how forgiving and loving he was with his
   own five children, especially when we were all teenagers. He was love
   incarnate to us.” — Sharon McCart, San Diego

It takes someone special to be a dad

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) — How did your father set a Christian example or how
   do you help your children develop faith? When that question was posted
   recently on Facebook, almost 100 people responded. “I don't have any
   children yet,” wrote Chrissy Cunningham, Washington, D.C., “but my dad
   ‘Pops’ is the most kindhearted, open, giving, generous, caring, fun and
   loving person I’ve ever met. I thank God every day that I’ve had his
   influence in my life to show me how to treat people and how to treat
   myself.”

   [18]Read full story and post a comment»

Gandhi urges graduates to ‘transform Africa’

   MUTARE, Zimbabwe (UMNS) — [19]Africa University this year sent 350 graduates
   on to their future lives with commencement speaker [20]Arun Gandhi urging
   them to “transform Africa.” The graduating class of 2011 — the 17th class of
   graduates for the United Methodist-related school – included 279 bachelor’s
   degree and 71 master’s degree recipients from 19 African countries. Gandhi
   is an author, journalist and social activist and the grandson of Mohandas
   “Mahatma” Gandhi.

   [21]Read full story and post a comment»

Nigerian United Methodists caught in violence

   NEW YORK (UMNS) — Thomas Kemper, top executive of the United Methodist Board
   of Global Ministries, has expressed solidarity with United Methodists in
   Nigeria in the wake of continuing violence after the April 16 presidential
   election. United Methodists are among the more than 800 people dead and
   65,000 people displaced by the violence. The latest incident — the bombing
   of police headquarters in Abuja — occurred June 16. The United Methodist
   Committee on Relief will provide emergency food and care in Nigeria.

   [22]Read statement»

Church trial of lesbian elder set to begin

   KAUKAUNA, Wis. (UMNS) — The Rev. Amy DeLong of Osceola, Wis., will undergo a
   United Methodist Church trial, starting June 21, to respond to a charge that
   she has violated church law by being a “self-avowed practicing homosexual”
   and officiating at a same-sex union. UMNS will be at the trial and plans to
   post coverage online at www.umc.org, on the UMNS Facebook page and on
   Twitter at #DeLongTrial. A detailed list of question and answers about the
   trial will be online at www.umc.org on June 20. Watch the UMNS Daily Digest
   for further details.

United Methodist Men leader helps Japan

   AUSTIN, Texas (UMNS) — Chip Sparks, president of the Austin District of
   United Methodist Men, served as logistic planner for U.S. military efforts
   to aid victims of the massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan. In that role,
   he helped receive, validate, schedule, track and distribute all U.S.
   humanitarian assistance to the citizens of Japan. “By the time that I
   returned home on April 28,” Sparks said, “we had shipped over 250 million
   gallons of water and 100 tons of food, in addition to the fuel, shelters and
   blankets to the affected areas.”

                                                     [23]Read full story»

June 19 is Peace with Justice Sunday

   WASHINGTON (UMNS) — In a world where 250,000 children are forced to be
   fighters or sex slaves, youngsters in the Democratic Republic of Congo are
   particularly at risk. With a grant from the Peace with Justice Sunday
   offering, United Methodists in the Jerusalem Justice and Peace Ministry are
   assisting Congolese communities and helping children grow into healthy
   adults. Peace with Justice grants, distributed by the United Methodist Board
   of Church and Society, support similar ministries that help alleviate
   conflict and provide just solutions to problems around the globe. Peace with
   Justice Sunday, which raises money for such grants, is scheduled for June 19
   or can be celebrated any time.

                                                     [24]Read full story»

   Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy
   [25]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [26]Rethink Church
             [27]TechShop
             [28]EcuFilm
             [29]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [30]Interpreter Magazine
      [31]El' Interprete
      [32]United Methodists In Service
             [33]InfoServ
             [34]Kingswood Communications
   [35]United Methodist News Service
      [36]UM Audio
      [37]UMTV
             [38]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [39]United Methodist Communications International
             [40]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [41]Crisis Communications
                     [42]Communications Training
                     [43]Program Calendars
                     [44]United Methodist Press Center
                     [45]Scholarships
   [46]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and Designated
   Giving
                     [47]United Methodist Productions

       [48]http://umns.umc.org | [49]Privacy Policy | [50]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [51]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [52]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [4657242391.gif]