UMNS Daily Digest - June 17, 2011 (Juneteenth, Huston-Tillotson University, North Alabama Annual (re

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:39:02 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                           Friday, June 17, 2011
                     [5]Juneteenth: Bringing joy to all
                     [6]Father’s Day has Methodist ties
           [7] Bishop: Alabama immigration law nation’s ‘meanest’
                       [8]World Refugee Day is June 20

   [9]
   UMTV: Volunteers Adopt Hospice Pets»

   [10]
   UMTV: Stay-at-home Dads»

   [11]
   UMTV: Legal Aid for Immigrants»

    [12]
   Annual Conference coverage»

   [13]
   Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [14]Find us on Facebook

   [15]Twitter

   Contact Us
   [16]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

   “Juneteenth brings together old friends and presents the opportunity to make
   new loving relationships and friendships to all who attend.” — Kliphton Joel
   Taylor, a student at Huston-Tillotson University in Austin, Texas

Juneteenth: Bringing joy to all

   AUSTIN, Texas (UMNS) — Kliphton Joel Taylor provides a young man’s
   perspective on the oldest celebration of freedom for African Americans. “As
   a young black man, I can never comfortably say that I know what slavery was
   like,” he writes in a UMNS commentary. “I can never claim to have
   experienced the same whippings and verbal tortures that my ancestors did.
   That would be incorrect of me. Nonetheless, I make sure that I bask in my
   everyday rights.”

   [17]Read full story and post a comment»

Father’s Day has Methodist ties

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) — To all you dads out there: While you’re relaxing
   in your recliner and watching sports this Sunday, and your kids are on their
   best behavior to honor Father’s Day, don’t forget to thank a United
   Methodist.

   [18]Read full story and post a comment»

Bishop: Alabama immigration law nation’s ‘meanest’

   BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (UMNS) — United Methodist Bishop William Willimon, who
   leads the North Alabama Annual (regional) Conference, has called Alabama's
   new immigration law the “meanest“ in the nation and an embarrassment to the
   state, the Birmingham News reports. Willimon urged church members to attend
   a June 25 ecumenical prayer vigil to voice opposition to the law and pray
   for those affected. Bishop Paul W. Leeland of the Alabama-West Florida
   Annual (regional) Conference also opposes the law.

   [19]Read full story»

World Refugee Day is June 20

   NEW YORK (UMNS) — The Refugee Ministry Office of the United Methodist
   Committee on Relief every day supports refugees around the world and will
   join June 20 in the annual worldwide recognition of International World
   Refugee Day. The date, designated by the United Nations, is a day on which
   events highlight the plight of refugees everywhere. UMCOR offers
   a [20]worship service outline and material for bulletins on its
   website. The [21]Refugee Ministry Office offers more information and
   materials on its website, including a list of [22]Frequently Asked
   Questions. A partner of UMCOR, [23]Church World Service, explains how
   worldwide efforts work.

   Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy
   [24]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [25]Rethink Church
             [26]TechShop
             [27]EcuFilm
             [28]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [29]Interpreter Magazine
      [30]El' Interprete
      [31]United Methodists In Service
             [32]InfoServ
             [33]Kingswood Communications
   [34]United Methodist News Service
      [35]UM Audio
      [36]UMTV
             [37]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [38]United Methodist Communications International
             [39]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [40]Crisis Communications
                     [41]Communications Training
                     [42]Program Calendars
                     [43]United Methodist Press Center
                     [44]Scholarships
   [45]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and Designated
   Giving
                     [46]United Methodist Productions

       [47]http://umns.umc.org | [48]Privacy Policy | [49]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [50]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [51]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [4660941363.gif]