Taiwanese puppet show attracts small town peasants to hear the gospel

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:00:07 +0800

Taiwan Church News
3095 Edition

June 20~26, 2011

Church Ministry News

Taiwanese puppet show attracts small town peasants to hear the gospel

Reported by Sam Lee

Written by Lydia Ma

“My name is Wu Wen-shui and I’m going to Tainan with Dr. James Maxwell!” said
someone impersonating the voice of Wu Wen-shui, one of Maxwell’s first students
and the first Taiwanese pastor.

Besides retelling the story of missionary Dr. James L. Maxwell, this Chinese
puppet show held on June 19th, 2011, at Tzukuan Presbyterian Church near in the
outskirts of Kaohsiung also featured the story of the Prodigal Son in the Bible.

The event was part of a few activities organized to celebrate the church’s 60th
anniversary. Other activities included parenting seminars and a professional
puppet show that the church had invited to town. Children were also invited to
play with the puppets after the performances.

According to the church’s elder, Yang Lien-ching, community outreach, house
visitations and discipleship training have always been prominent ministries for
Tzukuan church since its inception 60 years ago. The church currently has 2
cell groups, and more than 130 people attend its Sunday worship. Cell group
activities vary from book studies to Bible studies and prayer meetings.

For Tzukuan Church, afterschool tutoring programs and summer camps are
important ministries because about 80% of students who attend one of these
events will eventually go on to attend Sunday worship at the church and become
a Christian. Hence the reason why child evangelism, through events such as
Chinese puppet shows, is so important for the church’s local outreach in this
little town in the outskirts of Kaohsiung.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)