UCC - Robert Grove-Markwood appointed interim president of Bangor Theological Seminary

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:09:01 -0700

Robert Grove-Markwood appointed interim president of Bangor Theological Seminary

Written by Staff and Wire Reports
June 21, 2011
The Rev. Robert Grove-Markwood. (Photo provided)

The Board of Trustees of UCC-related Bangor Theological Seminary announced on June 20 the appointment of the Rev. Robert Grove-Markwood as interim president.

Grove-Markwood, pastor of Presque Isle (Maine) Congregational UCC, will serve pending the appointment of a permanent successor to the Rev. Kent J. Ulery, who resigned effective June 30. Grove-Markwood's appointment is effective July 1.

Grove-Markwood, 63, senior pastor at Presque Isle since 1987, will continue to serve the church in a reduced role. "The Presque Isle church is supportive of me as I take on this new challenge," said Grove-Markwood. "It is a unique way for them to participate in the church's wider mission."

The Rev. Tim Stohlberg, ordained in the Evangelical Covenant Church, will help lead the Presque Isle congregation throughout the coming year, said Grove-Markwood.

Receiving both his M. Div. and D. Min. degrees from Bangor, Grove-Markwood also served as BTS' director of admissions from January 1985 to June 1987. For the past five years, he has been a member of its Board of Trustees.

"I had never really entertained the notion," said Grove-Markwood when asked whether he'd ever envisioned serving as Bangor interim. With a laugh, he added, "It was not part of my great plan."

Bangor has influenced Grove-Markwood's life in "significant" ways, he said. "I am very honored to be asked to help guide the institution during this transitional period."

"There is no better person to lead the Seminary at this time in its long and distinguished history than Bob Grove-Markwood," said H. Lowell Brown, Board of Trustees chairperson. "Bob understands in a very personal way the culture and unique history of the seminary. As a member of the ordained ministry for 29 years, he also understands the needs of the clergy as well as the lay leadership and other spiritual seekers whom the seminary seeks to serve."

Grove-Markwood has chaired the Advancement and the Information Technology Committees during his Board tenure. "Bob has taken a leading role in the formation of the initiatives that he will now be asked to carry forward, which makes him uniquely suited to meet the challenges of the presidency," said Brown. "That is why Bob was the unanimous choice of the Trustees."

Grove-Markwood is a graduate of Oberlin (Ohio) College and received his master's from Bowling Green (Ohio) State University. In addition to involvement with the UCC's Maine Conference and the Aroostook Association UCC, he has been active in several community organizations. He is a past president of the Presque Isle Rotary Club, a Paul Harris fellow, and has chaired the Rotary District 7810 World Community Service committee.

Founded in 1814, BTS is a non-denominational school in the Congregational tradition. It is the only accredited graduate school of religion in northern New England. The seminary has campuses in Bangor and Portland and offers Master of Divinity, Master of Arts and Doctor of Ministry degree programs.