ACNS - Central Africa Anglican bishops support Zimbabweans at commemoration service

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:11:42 -0700

Posted On : June 28, 2011 12:29 PM | Posted By : Admin ACO

ACNS: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2011/6/28/ACNS4897

Related Categories: Zimbabwe

Central Africa Anglican bishops support Zimbabweans at commemoration service

By ACNS staff

Tens of thousands of people--including all the
Central Africa bishops--flocked to the Bernard
Mizeki celebrations in Zimbabwe this weekend,
despite being denied access to the shrine itself by the authorities.
Between 10,000 and 15,000 people came to the
Marondera Show Grounds to commemorate the life of
Bernard Mizeki, a lay catechist and missionary to
the Shona people from 1891 until his martyrdom in 1896.
The attendees included all 15 bishops of the
Anglican Church of the Province of Central Africa
who con-celebrated the Eucharist on the Saturday
morning. The Province's Primate Archbishop Albert
Chama preached what was described as "a moving and encouraging sermon".
Following the Eucharist the day was filled with
teaching on various topics by the clergy, drama
based on the life of Bernard Mizeki, a programme
led by the Mothers' Union and then singing,
worship and shared preaching by both clergy and
laity. The celebrations finished after an early
morning Eucharist service on Sunday and Harare's
Bp Chad D Gandiya presided at the Eucharist.
In a letter following the weekend's celebrations,
Bp Chad said it had been a truly blessed weekend:
"I am writing to thank you all very much for your
prayers. Our Bernard Mizeki celebrations at the
Marondera Show Grounds went very well. Our theme
for the weekend was, "Mukristu Usanete: Namata
Urinde! Christian seek not yet repose: Watch and
Pray!" We even had police protection which we appreciated very much."
Pilgrims were hoping to visit the shrine after
the main service, but police prevented them from doing so.
The Anglican Church in Zimbabwe has been under
attack from an ex-communicated bishop, Dr Nolbert
Kunonga, a supporter of President Mugabe, who
left the Anglican Province of Central Africa
(CPCA) in 2007 to try and set up a rival church.
Kunonga, with the support of police and henchmen,
has seized CPCA church property and used violence to break up church servic es.

ENDS

For anyone wanting to show their support for
persecuted Anglicans in Zimbabwe, please visit
the Facebook page here http://on.fb.me/jaMC5W

Notes to Editors

·         Bernard Mizeki was a lay catechist and
missionary to the Shona people from 1891 to his
martyrdom in 1896. He was committed to Christ and
to the people he served and stood by them despite
threats to his life. Nationalists claimed that
Mizeki was a servant of colonialist rulers, but
he knew he served Christ alone. As a consequence
of his commitment he was killed and this was a
sign that following Christ would be punished.
Instead his martyrdom became a sign of resurrection and hope.