UCC New Hampshire church embraces accessibility

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:14:10 -0700

New Hampshire church embraces accessibility

Written by Wire Reports
September 6, 2011

Many Sunday mornings Scott Marino helped to
carry Bill Shea, in his wheelchair, up the
sanctuary steps to attend service at the
<http://www.fcc-salem.org/>First Congregational
UCC in Salem, N.H. In a twist of fate, a 2010 car
accident during a business trip in the Sultanate
of Oman left Marino himself in a wheelchair. Shea
returned Marino?s kindness by providing Marino
the support he needed to help face this new challenge.

?Bill Shea has been a mentor to me throughout my
recovery,? explained Marino. ?When he came to
visit me at the hospital, one of the first things
that he told me was that my paralysis is not a
handicap ­ it?s an inconvenience. I remember his
advice often when faced with difficulties.?

It was quite an ordeal for Marino, whose

evacuation from Oman was assisted by the US Navy.
After surgery in Dubai and four weeks of
recovery, Marino was transferred to a Boston
hospital. Church members and others in the
community were praying daily for good news of his progress and safe return.

An elevator had been installed at the church in
2009 after a major capital campaign. However, the
church lacked the funding to provide complete
wheelchair access to the building. As a result,
Scott Marino?s accident became the catalyst to
complete the accessibility of the church.

The Scott Marino Fund was set up and many

donations followed ­ even one from as far away as
Japan. Fundraising continued as the entire church
community came together to sell engraved bricks,
Freshwater Farms contributed with a donation of
materials, and MHF Design helped meet town
requirements with a presentation to the planning
board. Soon, enough resources were raised to start the ramp.

Rather then a standard wooden ramp on the side or
the back of the building, the church members
voted to install a brick walkway to the main
entrance. With the support of local businesses ­
Rock Design Custom Stonework and TS Welding and
Fabrication ­ the accessibility ramp was completed.

?It is a beautiful asset to our church,?
explained longtime member Kathy Ackroyd, who also
uses a wheelchair. ?There is not another similar
church in Salem that allows an individual in a
wheelchair to enter through the front door. By
using the front walkway and entering where
everyone else does, I feel as if I?m a ?whole? member of the church. ?

Ackroyd points out, ?Many people take their
mobility for granted and do not worry about
accessibility. However, a day may come, sooner
than you expect, when it matters.? When that day
came at First Congregational UCC, the community
responded to ensure accessibility for everyone.

First Congregational UCC has been located at it?s
present Lawrence Road site in Salem since 1840.
Through the years it has undergone many changes,
but access for people of all abilities is one of
the key initiatives of which they are most proud.
?We are thrilled to be a community where we can
welcome everyone at the front of the church,?
said Rev. Andrew Gilman. The church will
celebrate the accomplishment during a special service September 18th at 10  am.