WCC NEWS: WCC honours 9/11 victims, stresses culture of peace

From WCC media <noreply@wcc-coe.org>
Date Wed, 7 Sep 2011 19:31:28 +0200

World Council of Churches - News

WCC GENERAL SECRETARY HONOURS 9/11 VICTIMS AND STRESSES A CULTURE OF
PEACE

For immediate release: 07 September 2011

Remembering the thousands of people killed in the coordinated assault on
11 September 2001 in the United States of America, and its unfortunate
consequences in Afghanistan and Iraq, World Council of Churches general
secretary Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit sends out a message honouring the
victims, and promoting a culture of peace.

"On behalf of the council, I assure all those who have been affected by
violence and inhumanity – in the United States and throughout the world
– of continuing prayer and solidarity on the part of the fellowship of
churches we constitute," says Tveit stressing that "Terrorism in all its
forms – whether committed by individuals, groups or states – is to be
condemned."

In his message, Tveit reaffirms churches’ commitment towards dialogue
among people of different faiths, promoting a culture of "just peace",
which is also a key topic for the upcoming WCC 10th Assembly in 2013.

Full text of the statement (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=148a449ae6b427b0bcc2 )

A prayer of the people – 11 September 2011 (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=9b3bf3d693a10aed6801 )

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness
and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of
churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 349 Protestant,
Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million
Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman
Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit,
from the [Lutheran] Church of Norway. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

You receive this information as a subscriber of our media list. You are
registered as Worldwide with the address wfn-editors@wfn.org.
Click here to unsubscribe or change your distribution settings
(Link: http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=578e6918d710fd812607 ).