UMNS Daily Digest - Sept. 8, 2011 (9/11, New York Police Department, chaplaincy, Hurricane Irene, Tr

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:57:15 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                          Thursday, Sept. 8, 2011
                [5]New York cop-turned-chaplain recalls 9/11
                   [6]Ministering after 9/11: Four stories
                    [7]How one 9/11 death changed my life
                     [8]Together through storm and flood
                      [9]From farm to table, submerged
                     [10]UMNS taking immigration survey
               [11]Webcast shows church's work for clean water

   [12]Making Peace
   After 9/11»

   [13]UMTV: Counseling Cops»

   [14]9/11 Memories: Arlette Kitenge»

   [15]UMTV: 9/11 Pastor Seeks Peace»

   [16]UMCOR: Hurricanes 2011»

   [17]Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [18]Find us on Facebook

   [19]Twitter

   Contact Us
   [20]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

   "I wish I had a dollar for every cop and fireman I just hugged and allowed
   to weep into my chest." - The Rev. Chuck Ferrara, a police
   officer-turned-United Methodist pastor who ministered to workers at ground
   zero.

New York cop-turned-chaplain recalls 9/11

   NEW YORK (UMNS) - Arriving at ground zero immediately after 9/11, the Rev.
   Chuck Ferrara said it was "as if Armageddon had begun... on the southern tip
   of Manhattan." In a commentary, the retired New York police officer who is
   now a United Methodist pastor recounts his experience trying to comfort
   recovery workers at ground zero.

   [21]Read full commentary and post a comment»

Ministering after 9/11: Four stories

   NEW YORK (UMNS) - Four United Methodist clergy members from the New York
   metropolitan area share the lessons they learned in the immediate aftermath
   of 9/11. They include a Chinatown pastor, a pastor on Manhattan's Upper East
   Side as well as relief coordinators in New York and New Jersey.

   [22]Read full story and post a comment»

How one 9/11 death changed my life

   CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio (UMNS) - When an Ohio father, husband and church member
   died on 9/11, his life became an inspiration and a reminder to "Give me
   Jesus," writes Kay Panovec, executive director of new media at United
   Methodist Communications.

   [23]Read full commentary and post a comment»

Together through storm and flood

   WINDHAM, N.Y. (UMNS) - As rains from Tropical Storm Lee brought new threats
   of flooding to a waterlogged Catskills region, United Methodists already had
   begun outreach efforts to assist those affected earlier by Irene. Elfrieda
   Benjamin, a member of Windham-Hensonville United Methodist Church, who
   helped coordinate the effort of local townspeople, said, "I don't even know
   where the food comes from; I turn around and it appears." Bishop Jeremiah
   Park led a delegation from the denomination's New York Annual (regional)
   Conference and United Methodist Committee on Relief as it toured five small
   mountain towns affected by Tropical Storm Irene: Windham, Prattsville,
   Roxbury, Margaretville and Fleischmanns.

   [24]Read full story»

From farm to table, submerged

   NEW YORK (UMNS) - In her Bloombytes blog, UMNS reporter Linda Bloom writes
   about how the rains from Tropical Storm Irene are affecting large and small
   Northeastern farms.

   [25]Read full blog and post a comment»

UMNS taking immigration survey

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - United Methodist News Service is surveying United
   Methodists for their thoughts on immigration. The survey takes about 10 to
   12 minutes to complete. It includes an opportunity to comment on the issue.
   Please respond to the survey by Sept. 14.

   [26]Take survey»

Webcast shows church's work for clean water

   NEW YORK (UMNS) - More than 3.5 million people die each year from
   water-borne diseases, according to the World Health Organization. The United
   Methodist Committee on Relief, the denomination's relief agency, works with
   communities to provide better access to safe drinking water.
   The [27]agency's monthly 10-Fold webcast will highlight UMCOR's efforts in
   water sanitation on Sept. 10.

   [28]Watch webcast»

   Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy
   [29]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [30]Rethink Church
             [31]TechShop
             [32]EcuFilm
             [33]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [34]Interpreter Magazine
      [35]El' Interprete
      [36]United Methodists In Service
             [37]InfoServ
             [38]Kingswood Communications
   [39]United Methodist News Service
      [40]UM Audio
      [41]UMTV
             [42]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [43]United Methodist Communications International
             [44]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [45]Crisis Communications
                     [46]Communications Training
                     [47]Program Calendars
                     [48]United Methodist Press Center
                     [49]Scholarships
   [50]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and Designated
   Giving
                     [51]United Methodist Productions

       [52]http://umns.umc.org | [53]Privacy Policy | [54]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [55]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [56]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [4885157521.gif]