UCC - Coalition urges Americans to embrace unity found in post-9/11 period

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 21:16:31 -0700

Coalition urges Americans to embrace unity found in post-9/11 period

Written by Staff Reports
September 8, 2011

The

<http://shouldertoshouldercampaign.org/page/Contact.html>Shoulder-to-Should er
campaign ­ an interfaith coalition dedicated to
ending religious prejudice, particularly
anti-Muslim bigotry ­ has issued a statement at
their press conference held prior to 9/11 commemoration ceremonies.

Calling on Americans ?to recommit to the

inspiring spirit of unity and cooperation that
we?embraced in the weeks after the tragedy,? the
statement took aim at fear-based policies that discriminate against Muslims.

The coalition expands its work internationally by
making a clear statement to both the Muslim world
and the international community as a whole that
religious communities in the United States are
committed to ending anti-Muslim bigotry; and
broadens and deepens the work of religious
communities to end anti-Muslim bigotry in
congregations and in state and community
organizations, placing particular emphasis on
producing strategies and support for religious leaders in all 50 states.

The United Church of Christ and Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) are members of the coalition.

----------

Our coalition,

<http://shouldertoshouldercampaign.org/page/Contact.html>Shoulder-to-Should er:
Standing with American Muslims, UpholdingAmerican
Values, is made up of 26 national faith groups,
denominations, and interfaith organizations that
have pledged to work together to end anti-Muslim
discrimination in America and to promote mutual
understanding and acceptance among Americans of
all faith backgrounds.   Since first convening
one year ago, we have articulated a faith-based
voice of conscience against the shameful rise of Islamophobia in this count ry.

As our nation commemorates the tenth anniversary
of the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks, we
stand together as religious leaders from diverse
traditions to urge our fellow Americans to
recommit to the inspiring spirit of unity and
cooperation that we, as a people, embraced in the weeks after the tragedy.

A decade after our nation was attacked, we honor
those who lost their lives on September 11th, not
only with uplifting words and enduring memories,
but with a renewed commitment to the common good
and the bedrock values that have made America a
land of opportunity for people of diverse
ethnicities and faiths. In the days after
September 11, Americans transcended barriers of
race, religion and political ideology in a
powerful display of national unity amidst shared
grief. We mourned together, raised flags
together, and pledged to build together a future
in which justice and peace prevailed over hatred
and revenge. Yet over time, we lost our way and
strayed from that principled path.

The time has come to reclaim the sense of
community and shared purpose that guided us
through those trying days a decade ago.
Fear-based politics and discrimination against
Muslim Americans and those perceived to be Muslim
disgrace the memories of those who perished on
September 11, and desecrate the core values that
make our nation great. The presence in America of
people of all faiths and belief systems enriches
our diverse country. The ideals that unite us are
more powerful than the differences that divide us.

During our time together here today, we are

honoring hundreds of local organizations and
congregations across America that are working for
unity and healing, and, especially, for an end to
anti-Muslim bigotry. Today we recognize four
inspiring local efforts that are representative
of religious organizations across the country
endeavoring to end the prejudice that threatens core American values.

As national leaders of faith groups,

denominations, and interfaith organizations, we
pledge to model this spirit of unity, as we
remember the lives lost on September 11, 2001 and
move forward as a nation.  We call on all houses
of worship and individuals to join with us as we
stand up for hope, unity, and healing.